Need Advice for New Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xx3GRAHAMxx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone. I have been keeping fish for a long time, but I am just getting starting on keeping a planted tank. I need some advice and tips and tricks that may be specialized towards my setup.

Here is what i have:
75G Tank (48" x 18" x 21")
Rena Filstar XP3 Cannister
T5HO 2-54w lighting about 6 inches above the tank; one 10,000K bulb, and one Actinic bulb
Heater (don't remember wattage)
Mix of Flourite Dark / Regular Flourite Substrate

Livestock:
5 Neon Tetras
6 Red Eye Tetras
1 Gold Gourami - Male
1 Otto (adding 4-5 more very soon)
1 Apple Snail

Plants (just received yesterday from liveaquaria.com)
Anacharis
Watersprite
Cambomba
Crypts
Dwarf Hairgrass
Anubias
Java Fern

Would you consider my setup to be High lighting? should I worry about CO2? Adding Fertilizers? I love the look of the plants, but I want to make sure they all survive. I would be devastated if they all died. What would you do if you had my setup?

Here is a crappy Iphone pic I just took:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/45550-albums2429-picture15856.jpg

Last edited:
i dont think you need to worry about co2 levels yet, but you should really look at changing the actinic bulb with a 6700k or a 10 000k bulb. subsrate is good, i wouldnt worry about ferts just yet, goodluck!

edit: you sould consider tieing the anubias and or the java fern on to your drift wood, it will grow great there. you arent really supposed to plant them in the substrate.

Last edited:
I agree , tie the java fern and anubias to the driftwood or something above the substrate. My anubias almost died because I tried to plant it, even though I kept the rhizome above the substrate, it kept comeing unrooted. You could also get a small piece of wood or rock to tie it to If you don't want it on your big piece of wood. Mine is doing much better with a rubberband on my driftwood. Also the java fern should go on driftwood or something as well as it won't grow planted either.

nice!

i would change the layout of the DW and initial planting to make the tank flow?

idk if u get what im tryin to say;)

but nice start

no Co2 yet, but i would dose ferts.........algae can cover all the glass within a day.......happened to me;)

Hi there,
So far so good, but I would change out the antic for another T5HO, they really don't provide any light for plants.
What kind of cabomba? Red cabomba needs high light and some CO2, which you can always try with liquid or dry ferts.

+1^
didn't see that part about the actnic;)

ferts are decent,,,,,i would do liquids like flourish excel if u want basic organic carbon or u can do dry like bruinsbro said:D

Do not put the Cambomba in!!!! It's high light and difficult. It will shed in inadequate conditions. It will look like a Christmas tree exploded in your tank. It's a mess.

Aparently I lied about the actinic light. I double checked the store I bought it from, and it's just a roseate plant growth light. I think I will try to tye my Fern, and the Anubias to the driftwood.

As for the Cabomba, It's green, and seems to be doing really well...

The plants have been in there for a few days, and with the exception of the Anubia, am already seeing growth.

Back
Top Bottom