Need advice on already planted and stocked sand substrate. Do I need to change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toaduck

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon long with sand only. I have a java fern, crypts, water wisteria planted, and some Anubia.

I'm wanting to step it up to the next level so am planning to get some dwarf sag, or styrogyne rapens for a carpet. I'll also add other root feeders also.

I'm dosing pps ferts and injecting co2. I also have 2 sat+ led fixtures. On paper these lights put out 36 par per light. Combined for 60 -70 together I'm assuming.

Am I just going to be wasting my time trying to get them to grow in this inert sand substrate or will root tabs be enough plus the pps ferts. I'd rather find out now and go ahead and redo the substrate than find out later.

I think it would be fine. Especially for low to medium maintenance plants. Plus I find root tabs to be very effective.

As long as you dose ferts and add root tabs, you should be fine, as stated above. :)
How many and at what rate per inched per say do you put root tabs in. I use the diy osmicote plus capsules

Also are there any carpeting plants that would be particularly better in sand. Gosh I'd love to do hc, but I'm afraid of how it'd do in the sand.

How many and at what rate per inched per say do you put root tabs in. I use the diy osmicote plus capsules

Also are there any carpeting plants that would be particularly better in sand. Gosh I'd love to do hc, but I'm afraid of how it'd do in the sand.

With the tabs, I normally put in one or two, just break them into 4 pieces, and stick them in my substrate about 2-3 inches away from my root feeders.

I also used Osmocote Plus in the past, and it works pretty well. Doesn't seem to last as long as is says. I would suggest using less fertilizer at the start, and build up to using more over time. Makes it easier to identify nutrient deficiencies that way, too. They'll tell you what they need.

I am also dosing FlorinMulti roughly 2-3 ml once a week. I love it.

For the carpet, dwarf Sag, and Baby Tears both work pretty well with good lighting.

Do the star repens as a carpet. Easy to trim, roots well (produces extensive roots). Regular trimming promotes growth and thickness of the carpet. Appreciates substrate and water column ferts, CO2 and decent lighting.
I did dwarf sag but could not keep it low and could not get the density I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom