Need advice on aquarium lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robiray

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
I have a freshwater aquarium measuring 18"(L) x 9"(W) x 18" (D) & have lots of plants in it. The bad news is I know the names of just a bunch of them & the rest I would like to know. Will post a picture shortly. The tank's lit by a 8W cfl tube, pale yellow in color, which the vendor told me is adequate for plant growth in the tank I have. But, somehow I'm not convinced & would like to know on what changes should I be doing for a healthy plant growth.

I set up this last Sunday, so, its just 4 days. THough I haven't measured water parameters, but plan to change 1/4th water, the following weekend after this. Of all the plants, I'm listing down the names of the ones I know or seem to know:
2 pairs each of green & red cabombas
2 pairs of amazon swords
A java fern attached to driftwood
A bunch of foxtails

The swords are showing signs of nutrient deficiency in the form of holes in the leaves & brown colorations on some, thats what I guess. I have added a liquid fertilizer. Lights are on for 12 hrs/day. The mechanical filter stays on, twice a day, once in the morning & the next in the evening. Along with the lights, I do switch on the air pump for the same duration.

Would be kind of you guys to let me know the problem areas & what steps do I take for lighting, etc !

Thanks.

+1 on mgamer2000 advice. :) Also with holes in the leaves I would think you have some potassium deficiency. Swords are heavy root feeders so a root tab fert is required in this case, just know that the sword will quickly outgrow that tank.

Back
Top Bottom