Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need Aquascaping Input on 55 Gal.

I have a 55 gallon planted tank that was setup 6 months ago... when i initially set it up I didn't really think much about how it looked overall and just got everything planted. Now that I look at it and other people's tanks on the web I'd like to make some changes to it but I don't know what to do. Let me know what your thoughts/ideas are on changes to make. Thanks! Sorry for the crappy pictures...my camera doesn't focus well on the aquarium..

[/img]

Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, those are some HUGE rainbows!

Honestly I think the tank looks great, and you've obviously found a happy medium as all the plants seem to be thriving. My only suggestions would be to make the rocks and driftwood more prominent, try and arrange them in some way so they are a focal point of the tank rather than being stuck in the back. 55s are tough to aquascape since they are so narrow front to back. I've worked for a long time to try and get mine to at least appear as though there is a foreground, mid ground and background, it seems like with these tanks you can have 2 of the 3. Maybe try reducing the number of plant species and try some larger bunches of your favorites. This will let the plants spread out some and I've found that the most impressive tanks have larger clumps of fewer species.

If you really want some inspiration, check out some of Takashi Amano's books (any of the Nature Aquarium World series)....they'll have you drooling but have some great ideas.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Perhaps creating groupings of similar plants. Moving the larger plants to the back, and opening up the front middle some. You might take the rock out completely too.

BTW, those are some awsome looking Rainbows.

Tags
55 gallon, api, aquascaping, cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com