Need help finding a decent regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking for a regulator that is at least 60psi, Im not sure what to look for anymore and looking for some advice. I used to be in the planted tank hobby but left to do a reef tank but want to set up a new planted tank. I am going to do an inline defuser. I dont want to spend like 200$ on one so If theres a way for me to be in more of the like 100-150 range that would be best.

Look at the Aquatek regulator with solenoid. Think it's still around $100. I've used one a while without any issues.

Caleb

As stated, aquatek is the best bang for the buck. I picked mine up for $75 and it came with tubing and a bubble counter. I also picked up a 5lb tank for $40 then had it filled for $18. With the inline diffuser (I recommend gla's atomic diffuser, $40) you're whole system would be $175. A little cheaper if you went with a paintball tank system

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

looks good, found a premium modle on amazon new for 89$, my only consurn is the bubble counter. Id like it mounted on the regulator like my old one but does it really make any difference?

My experience with the aquatek was really bad. Maybe it was my tubing or the bubble counter (that came with it I think) but the needle valve was very finicky and after a few days the co2 stream would start to drop.

If I ever go pressurized I'm going all out and buying a GLA regulator where I'm sure it'll work well.

I've searched and searched, best cheap option is Aquatek's as mentioned. If you want Mack daddy swag top of the line, Swagelok and other non-aquarium marketed regulators reign supreme

Jesse

My experience with the aquatek was really bad. Maybe it was my tubing or the bubble counter (that came with it I think) but the needle valve was very finicky and after a few days the co2 stream would start to drop.

If I ever go pressurized I'm going all out and buying a GLA regulator where I'm sure it'll work well.

I looked at the bubble counter and tubbing that comes with it and I will not be using it. its fine as the regulator is a good enough deal as is.

You're going to find bad reviews on all regulators. Most the bad you see on aquatek is people who don't know what they're doing aka user error.

Jesse

I've searched and searched, best cheap option is Aquatek's as mentioned. If you want Mack daddy swag top of the line, Swagelok and other non-aquarium marketed regulators reign supreme

Jesse

I'll be having our shop welder(dad) order me one soon, so I get it at cost :thumbup:. I was surprised to learn that not all regulators are equal, they have different ones for each gas.

What are you trying to run at 60 psi?? Aquatek have never leg me down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll be having our shop welder(dad) order me one soon, so I get it at cost :thumbup:. I was surprised to learn that not all regulators are equal, they have different ones for each gas.

Even at cost you'll probably spend a good bit of money. There is a few good write ups on BarrReport and PlantedTank geared towards building your own regulators.

Jesse

What are you trying to run at 60 psi?? Aquatek have never leg me down.

oh that no longer matters. I was looking at a inline pvc Diffuser that required 60psi however that idea as been scrapped and I have a new plan.

oh that no longer matters. I was looking at a inline pvc Diffuser that required 60psi however that idea as been scrapped and I have a new plan.

Inline requires less pressure,.mine run at 15.or so. It's the ceramic disc that requires the higher pressure, around 30 I believe, it needs a little help to get through the fine ceramic disc.

Inline requires less pressure,.mine run at 15.or so. It's the ceramic disc that requires the higher pressure, around 30 I believe, it needs a little help to get through the fine ceramic disc.

well according to what I was reading the one I was looking at requires high pressure but like I said it doesnt matter anymore.

well according to what I was reading the one I was looking at requires high pressure but like I said it doesnt matter anymore.

I wouldnt use anything that requires anything more than 30psi.. leak waiting to happen

Last edited:
I had a bad experience with Aquatek. The needle valve was very touchy and i doubt it was operator error.

Back
Top Bottom