Need help for upgrading light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishshl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Finally, I can't stand my 15w for my 20G high tank.

I plan to upgrade it to 1.5 wpg ~ 2.0 wpg.

Are there any fixture like :
24" twin light strip T5, 20 w each.

Or 24" twin light strip T8 20 w each.

But from internet all I found are 15w each no matter T5 or T8. So I only can get 1.5 wpg. I am not satisfied with it.
Are these bulb all 18" ? Can I find any like 21" bulb with 18w or 20w output?

Another approach maybe I can try is

PC 1x65 50/50, I think.

But I don't know which is better. Please give me suggestion.

Keep in mind that 15W T5 bulbs put out more light than regular 15W bulbs.

I have a pair of 17W T5 bulbs over my 20g long and I love it.

Ya I have a 20 gallon long and only have a powerglo 20W single bulb. Anyone know if this powerglo is sufficient for a planted tank, or any suggestions on upgrades?

I would recommend the Coralife Freshwater Aqualight. I am growing an assortment of low light plants without a problem, and I'm even having success with some Narrow Leaf Chain Sword.

Yours is sufficient, but not for a wide range of plants.

You can't, no. Would require a completely different ballast.

Both 6700k and 10000k are decent for plants. All depends on your preference. 10000k is more blue, and 6700k is more yellow. I prefer the 6700k myself, but have a combo of both on my 75G.

This will let you upgrade:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=24053;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=
Use 1 bulb, then if you want more, turn both on.
Also, if you use both and leave 1 as actinic, the w/g will still be for only 1 bulb, and not the 2 combined. The actinics do bring out some of the color in the fish as well.

Or the 2x65W model:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=24055;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

Thanks, Lonewolfblue.

Can these fixture be put on open-water directly or need a glass - top cover. ?

All depends on your fish, lol. Do they jump? lol.

I have glass tops on my 55G because the tiger barbs have been known to jump on me. I took them off for a few days and found the cat one morning playing with an albino tiger barb, lol. Sad to say he didn't make it, was all tore up. So the tops are back on that tank.

As for my 26G, so far no jumpers.

My 75G, I keep hearing splashes, but none jumped out yet. The biggest splashes are from the sailfin pleco bolting to the surface, then back down to the bottom. And the roselines have surfaced a few times, making a splash, and one time hitting the light, lol.

But those fixtures have a protective shield over the bulbs, so if there are any problems like a bulb breaking, etc, it's all contained and you will be fine. It also protects the bulbs and internal wiring from the water as well. And if your fish haven't jumped ship on you, you will be fine without a glass top. You might get just a little more evaporation, but that's all. :)

I don't have a glass top on my canopy, but my lights are about 8" above the tank level, so my fish would really have to be determined.... they could jump out the back, but so far no problems. I have a Sedona canopy so it's closed on 3 sides, open in the back.

On the down side, I do get a lot of evaporation (~1 gal every other day from my 55), but I also have 2x96 watts, too. I am careful not to get water on the bulbs and fittings, so far no problems.

On the up side, no glass to get covered in algae and have to clean, and I have plenty of room for floating plants without the light frying them.

My lights are on legs, which is about 5 inches above the surface. And the roselines are the only ones that I know whose hit the fixture, lol. But I do have 2 fixtures on my 75G as well, so it about covers the whole top.

How much more output T5 (twin 14w each) generates comparing to T8 bulb?

Back
Top Bottom