need help setting up my 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyjoelyjoepro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, everyone, I have been really wanting to set up a nice looking aquascape for my 5 gallon long and I have some questions. Do you think I need ferts? I wont be using co2 though and if so is there a cost effective way? I will have about 2 watts per gallon is this ok? What plants do you thing I can have? I want some hardy carpet plants. I will probably have a school of neon tetras so would I still need ferts?

:thanks:

Hi, everyone, I have been really wanting to set up a nice looking aquascape for my 5 gallon long and I have some questions. Do you think I need ferts? I wont be using co2 though and if so is there a cost effective way? I will have about 2 watts per gallon is this ok? What plants do you thing I can have? I want some hardy carpet plants. I will probably have a school of neon tetras so would I still need ferts?

You could just lay down a substrate that offers nutrients or use root tabs. There's plenty of nutrients in soil for example. If you're not using co2 then I'd say water column ferts are not needed. You may struggle to get a decent carpet going without co2 as they will likely be outcompeted if you don't provide enough of what they need. Vals, Anubis, bacopa I've found do well without co2.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What kind of lights do you have on there? You probably don't want any more light unless you add c02 though admittedly the wpg rule is a little iffy especially in smaller tanks. You may just have to get it running and let the plants/algae tell you what your balance is.

I don't use c02 in my 29 at just under 2 wpg (again... not a great rule but it's the best I've got... you'll need someone more knowledgable than me if you want to talk about lighting!)

I use all low/med light plants (listed in my profile) and instead dose with excel daily and do only light fertilization and root tabs. Works for me. Plants are healthy and almost no algae.

I've used ecocomplete as a substrate in two of my planted tanks. Although I have never gone for the carpet plant look, this substrate, plus a decent light and a hardy moss like java moss, should work fine.

While not everyone uses ferts, I tend to dose Flourish on a once a week basis. I find it helps the plants grow, and can keep some algae at bay.

+1 on the microrasbora suggestion. I had neons in a five gallon for a grand total of 4 days before I went out and bought my 29. They're too nippy in small groups and you can't keep a big enough group of neons in a five to keep them from nipping in my experience.

Also yes, you'll likely have trouble with anything remotely carpet like without high light and C02. But you can make mats of java moss which can emulate a similar look.

Get an azoo or aquatop hang on the back filter for like $15 on Amazon. A sponge filter would be ugly in such a small tank of your not going to be breeding anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am saving up for a quad and already have a 22 gallon tank so I want to make this tank as cheep a possible. Is there a low space diy filter from a air pump that you know how to make?

Back
Top Bottom