Need help to get setup for 5Gallons Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Master503

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Below are the things I have so far before setup this tank.

1) Glass 5.5 Gallon Tank Black 16 X 8 X 10

2) Should I use Seachem Flourite Plant Substrate? I heard first time put in it get very dirty, so you must keep pull out the water couple times from beginning before the water get clear?

3) Driftwood is ready
4) Small Tetra heater (good for 5-10Gal)

5) Should I use Fluval mini co2 system ? or other suggestions to good fit for 5.5Gallons tank?

6) What kind of light should I use? T5HO fixture, 27w Power compact or any other best suggestions?

7) Any suggestions for good plants to use in this tank? I'm thinking java moss, java ferns, baby tears? what else?

8) Fish: Neon, any good type of small to put on ? I just plan to put only few 3-5 types

Thanks for all your suggestions/helps..

With any substrates like that, you should rinse it a few times before you put it in the tank. It helps with keep the mess down.

I wouldnt worry about a mini co2 system for something that small unless you are going to be getting really high requirement plants. If you stick with vals, dwarf sag, java ferns/moss, anubias, wisteria, etc, you dont really need it. Ive had good results with the Flourish Excel, too, though becareful dosing full power with the vals and fern.

Again.. the lighting depends on the type of plants you intend to use. The ones I mentioned are pretty hardy and dont require anything too high powered.

Ive heard baby tears are really difficult to start off with. Do a little more research on them.

I wouldnt suggest neon tetra for a five gallon. They get too big, require too many in a school, and move too much. Most people are going to tell you that a 5 gallon is too small for anything but a betta and some snails. You might be able to get away with a dwarf puffer (i think they are called malabars?) OR some ember tetra, though even those may get too large and be too active for that size tank. A shrimp tank would look really cool, too. Alot of activity to them. My favorites are the Red Cherry Shrimp!

Thanks Talvari, so which is the best hi-light to use for 5Gal in case if I want to use the plants that required good light? Also, if I rise the substrates, will any good things come out with the water too? I like an idea of Red Cherry shrimp and/or a pair of fancy guppy

The wonderful thing about 5.5g is that DIY CO2 works great at that scale. It might be a bit of effort to set up and maintain, but it should only cost $10 or so.

As far as lights go, there a few options to go high light:

#1: Amazon.com: Sunlight Desk Lamp Natural Full Spectrum Sun Light. Simulates Daylight. 150Watt Output uses 27 Watts. Touch On/Off Switch.: Home Improvement

I have one, and quite a few people use them.

#2: One of these: Lighthouse - Catalina Aquarium

Catalina Aquarium is a great business and make quality products.

Like almost everything it sees, it comes down to what you want to do.

With the Catalina fixtures, you can get legs that should allow you to put 14" fixtures on 16" 5.5G tanks. With a 16", you should be able to just put it on top of the tank...

Does anyone use Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate? Is that good?

Master503 said:
Does anyone use Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate? Is that good?

I use it and love it! The best part is that you don't need to pre-rinse like other substrates. It also contains most the nutrients your rooted plants need.

I'd read many good feedback about that Eco CPBQS too.. It seem like Petco get is cheaper price.

I use the Eco complete for both my 55 and my 46. Its great!

Eco complete actually doesn't have much for nutrients in it. There is some iron and some micros, but almost nothing compared to aquasoil, mts, or other nutrient rich substrates.

Thanks Ibrahim .. it seem like Aquatraders has good price on the fixture. The 14" 24W Power Compact Light Fixture Extendable Series , good for 5.5 Gallons?

Back
Top Bottom