Need Help Upgrade Lighting For 50 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atsy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there, I am wanting to upgrade my lighting for my 50 gal freshwater. It is 48" x 12" x 20". I have looked at tons of different already made setups but am overwhelmed by the number of choices out there. I have read articles on the differences between T8, T5, T2, and LED but am so confused!

That being said, I want to have mod-high lighting for my plants, don't want to spend a fortune (so probably no LED) and am open to some DYI but not a huge amount.

Suggest away! Advice needed! :thanks:

I think a Dual T5HO would be good, but for that price for a good fixture you would also be better off getting a good LED option...your choice. I remember spending a good 200 bucks or more for my dual T5HO fixture and bulbs, you can get some high quality LED's for that money also. Some brands to name are Current TrueLumen Pro and Finnex are the best LEDs I have used.

I think a Dual T5HO would be good, but for that price for a good fixture you would also be better off getting a good LED option...your choice. I remember spending a good 200 bucks or more for my dual T5HO fixture and bulbs, you can get some high quality LED's for that money also. Some brands to name are Current TrueLumen Pro and Finnex are the best LEDs I have used.

+1. I've realized they're about the same upfront, and u don't have to keep replacing bulbs.

Yup, they are also a tad better with PAR ratings I believe. IF you get some high intensity ones, not the cheaper low output ones like the Finnex FugeRay. It is a good LED for low light planted tanks. There are a range of LED's for every application, I would recommend the TrueLumen Pro's since that is what I am using on my 60g right now...I also am running a Ray 2 but it is geared for tanks under 30 gallons I believe since they not come in limited sizes...

Thanks for those suggestions. I will check them out. I need to have a lid on my tank because I have cats (dander and hair in the air) and a little boy (might throw a plastic fish or two into the tank) etc, will these suggestions still work with that? Most of the photos on the sites have a rimless tank w/o a lid.

Also, I guess I am open to LED, those seem pretty reasonable for the price. But what about housing? Would I have to build a hood/ housing for the lights to 1) set above the tank or 2) hang over the tank / depending on the type of lights?

Thanks!

Is this tank rimless? You don't need to build a housing for any lights, but you can have a canopy or hood if you need it. My suggestion would to just get a versa top or something though.

Is this tank rimless? You don't need to build a housing for any lights, but you can have a canopy or hood if you need it. My suggestion would to just get a versa top or something though.
No I don't have a rimess tank, see attached photo. I was concerned about the setup of these above mentioned lights because they are all pictured on rimless tanks.

Attachments

• Resized 03232013.jpg
    Resized 03232013.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 49
Yup, they are also a tad better with PAR ratings I believe. IF you get some high intensity ones, not the cheaper low output ones like the Finnex FugeRay. It is a good LED for low light planted tanks. There are a range of LED's for every application, I would recommend the TrueLumen Pro's since that is what I am using on my 60g right now...I also am running a Ray 2 but it is geared for tanks under 30 gallons I believe since they not come in limited sizes...

In regards to the TrueLumen Pro, are you suggesting a 12K or 8K, I don't understand how to do the math to figure out the PAR values. I'm assuming I'd need a 48" strip to fit the length of the tank or would I choose a 36" since I currently have two 18" T-8 bulbs which = 36"?

As to the Finnex, are you guys saying the Finnex FugeRay aren't a good LED but the Finnex Ray II DB/DS/BB are good products? Thanks for clarifying! I really appreciate it!

I would get the 8K sun white 48" strip for that tank.

The FugeRay is a good LED option for more shallow low light tanks. The Ray 2 is fitted more for tanks around 30 gallons and below IMO. Both great tho.

I would get the 8K sun white 48" strip for that tank.

The FugeRay is a good LED option for more shallow low light tanks. The Ray 2 is fitted more for tanks around 30 gallons and below IMO. Both great tho.

Ok, thanks for the advice! There are so many options out there and I am not close to a good LFS (most are just petsmart/petco) to ask either. And honestly, I take what the guys at the LFS say w/a grain of salt since they are going to be promoting their products regardless if they are the best setup for me.

I saw someone else mentioned that they prefer T5 because if a bulb goes out you just replace one rather than having to replace the entire thing as with a LED. Is that true? If your LEDs start to die you have to replace the entire setup?

Your light should start go go out diode by diode. Eventually you might have to replace your fixture, but by that time you'll have replaced your bulbs several times over.

This is also a much more common issue on cheaper fixtures. If you spend some money on a fixture, it shouldn't be a problem for some time.

Your light should start go go out diode by diode. Eventually you might have to replace your fixture, but by that time you'll have replaced your bulbs several times over.

This is also a much more common issue on cheaper fixtures. If you spend some money on a fixture, it shouldn't be a problem for some time.
Ok that makes sense. How do you know if you are purchasing a "cheaper fixture"? I am assuming that the Current TrueLumen Pro is considered to be a "good" fixture as it has been recommended in this thread but it is significantly "cheaper" than some of the LED lights I have seen out there.

Sorry for all the questions but if I'm going to drop several Ben's on lights I want to be sure I'm getting the best for my money! :thanks:

Bought the Current TrueLumen Pro 8000K sun light. Works pretty good! I have seen a noticable growth change in my plants, they ones that were growing fairly rapidly w/my low light are exploding with growth with the new LED light! The only downside I see was that each part had to be purchased separately, the power source and I had to purchase brackets since laying it directly on the hood wasn't a very good option. Luckily I hit a hot sale too! Thanks for the advice! :thanks:

Bought the Current TrueLumen Pro 8000K sun light. Works pretty good! I have seen a noticable growth change in my plants, they ones that were growing fairly rapidly w/my low light are exploding with growth with the new LED light! The only downside I see was that each part had to be purchased separately, the power source and I had to purchase brackets since laying it directly on the hood wasn't a very good option. Luckily I hit a hot sale too! Thanks for the advice! :thanks:

Well I am glad it all worked out awesome! I am sure the plants love it. Yeah, they should bunch the power supply and connectors with it, but I too had to buy it all separate. Oh well! Glad to be of help to you :)

Back
Top Bottom