Need HELP with my Anubis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokismom808

Aquarium Advice Regular
Why are my Anubis turning black and seem to be meting?
I have root tabs and I dose with leaf zone liquid plant food once a week.
The only light I have now is a 13 watt CFL light that I run about ten to twelve hours a day. I hope it's not to late to save them. :(

image-2346251106.jpg

image-2714844198.jpg

Oh and I have them tied to rocks.

Your Anubias

Hello mom...

Aquatic plants take weeks to get used to tank conditions. Most look poorly for some time and then slowly recover and a few, sorry to say, don't.

Anubias is undemanding and doesn't require much light, so it grows slowly. The plant will grow a new leaf every couple of months, at most.

I suggest you keep the water clean by removing and replacing half the tank volume every week. You can also dose a fertilizer a couple of times a week. I like FloraPride from Tetra. Just dose according to the instructions and give the plant some time.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello mom...

Aquatic plants take weeks to get used to tank conditions. Most look poorly for some time and then slowly recover and a few, sorry to say, don't.

Anubias is undemanding and doesn't require much light, so it grows slowly. The plant will grow a new leaf every couple of months, at most.

I suggest you keep the water clean by removing and replacing half the tank volume every week. You can also dose a fertilizer a couple of times a week. I like FloraPride from Tetra. Just dose according to the instructions and give the plant some time.

B

Thanks Bradbury
I guess that's what's happening since they have been in there for about a week.
They arrived looking so beautiful I hate to see what's happening to them now.

Anubia's don't like being in bright light and you only need to run your light about 8 hours a day. Most of what I'm seeing looks like light burn. Another thing is Leaf Zone only adds iron and potassium which are both good but you need another one that give the plants a broader spectrum of micro nutrients. Seachems Flourish Comprehensive would be good to use with your Leaf Zone weekly after WC's. Also adding Flourish Excel daily will aid your plants in photosynthesis and growth but must be used daily as it is a liquid carbon which only stays in the water 12-24 hours before it completely breaks down.

What I suggest you do with the Anubia is move the burned leaves by pulling them loose off the rhizome and then moving the plant into a shaded location. When I moved some Anubia's into my 220g with high light from low light conditions they burned and I actually removed all the leaves off the rhizome and new leaves grew back in the new light and they looked like new plants again.

Rivercats said:
Anubia's don't like being in bright light and you only need to run your light about 8 hours a day. Most of what I'm seeing looks like light burn. Another thing is Leaf Zone only adds iron and potassium which are both good but you need another one that give the plants a broader spectrum of micro nutrients. Seachems Flourish Comprehensive would be good to use with your Leaf Zone weekly after WC's. Also adding Flourish Excel daily will aid your plants in photosynthesis and growth but must be used daily as it is a liquid carbon which only stays in the water 12-24 hours before it completely breaks down.

What I suggest you do with the Anubia is move the burned leaves by pulling them loose off the rhizome and then moving the plant into a shaded location. When I moved some Anubia's into my 220g with high light from low light conditions they burned and I actually removed all the leaves off the rhizome and new leaves grew back in the new light and they looked like new plants again.

Thanks Rivercats
I was wondering if I could do that without hurting the plant. I will also be getting both of the Florish and start using that.
The funny thing is I had them where they were shaded but moved them because I thought they needed more light. :)
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom