Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 610
Need help with root tabs

I have been looking around on eBay for some root tabs and I have found 3 different once but don't know how good they are and which one I should go for!
If you guys could help me out that would be great!

I have seen normal DIY root tabs
150 Root Tabs Capsules Pond aquarium Plant Food Fertilizer slow release nontoxic

Also easy life root sticks
Easy-Life 25 Root Sticks Tabs Plant Root Feeding Aquarium Plants Planted Tank | eBay

And dennerle power tabs
Dennerle Power Tabs - Root Fertilizer (30 pcs) for Aquarium Plants | eBay

I don't know which one to go for and which give the best results

I have quite a few Amazon sword which are heavy root feeds as well as some vals and a small crinum cal that I'm trying to get to grow and root so I need something to help it

But will be adding more plants soon

Thanks
__________________

__________________
bhavik95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bert2oo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik95 View Post
I have been looking around on eBay for some root tabs and I have found 3 different once but don't know how good they are and which one I should go for!
If you guys could help me out that would be great!

I have seen normal DIY root tabs
150 Root Tabs Capsules Pond aquarium Plant Food Fertilizer slow release nontoxic

Also easy life root sticks
Easy-Life 25 Root Sticks Tabs Plant Root Feeding Aquarium Plants Planted Tank | eBay

And dennerle power tabs
Dennerle Power Tabs - Root Fertilizer (30 pcs) for Aquarium Plants | eBay

I don't know which one to go for and which give the best results

I have quite a few Amazon sword which are heavy root feeds as well as some vals and a small crinum cal that I'm trying to get to grow and root so I need something to help it

But will be adding more plants soon

Thanks


Order some 00 size gel capsules and half fill them with osmocote plus granules nice and easy and cheap too
__________________

__________________
Bert2oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 610
the only thing with that is i cant fine any osmocote plus in the UK that i can buy

i checked on ebay and its all coming from the US and the shipping is twice the amount of the actual product
__________________
bhavik95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 16,077
Need help with root tabs

On mine I was adding clay as well (although that was to improve gravel and seachem fluorite). The ferts were just high potassium, low iron from hardware store.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 63
What substrate are you using? Do your plants show any deficiency?(Leaves are pale, yellow or new leaves are very small or old leaves dying?) If you're looking to add micro nutrients, Flourish tabs are decent but don't contain any NPK so if it is a new tank you probably need macro nutrients so API root tabs contain NPK and Iron. A combination of both can benefit heavy root feeders significantly
__________________
whatsgoodm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bert2oo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik95 View Post
the only thing with that is i cant fine any osmocote plus in the UK that i can buy

i checked on ebay and its all coming from the US and the shipping is twice the amount of the actual product


I've used pond plant tabs before with no issues. I'd just get them if u can't find osmocote plus. I brought caps and crushed the bigger pond tabs into smaller granules and then loaded the caps up.
__________________
Bert2oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
nirbhao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Michigan, Metro Detroit
Posts: 3,000
I use pond tabs. They are much less expensive than aquarium tabs and otherwise seem to be the same thing. I do have to crush them, but then pretty much each tank only needs one tab per month.
__________________
I'm probably on my phone.

https://injaf.org/
https://thedelicion.com
nirbhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 610
Need help with root tabs

I don't have a special substrate only gravel changed from sand
It's an old tank I get good growth just the old leaves start to turn yellowish and start to die away

You said pond tabs where could I buy these from could some post a link?

Also if I was to get one of the above that I suggested which ones would I go for?
__________________
bhavik95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 63
That's probably a nitrogen deficiency as the plant is getting new leaves but since nitrogen is missing in your tank, it transfers nutrients stored in the old leaves to the new leaves
__________________
whatsgoodm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 610
So out of the 3 what shall I go for?
__________________
bhavik95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bert2oo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik95 View Post
So out of the 3 what shall I go for?


Go for the 150 tabs. They will last u ages. Basically all the root tabs on the market are the same thing.
__________________
Bert2oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 610
Why have my Amazon swords turned like this is it because of me adding liquid co2? Only started since the last 2 days
Added 2.5ml to a 200l tank Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1815.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	297882Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1816.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	297883Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1817.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	297884
__________________
bhavik95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bert2oo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik95 View Post
Why have my Amazon swords turned like this is it because of me adding liquid co2? Only started since the last 2 days
Added 2.5ml to a 200l tank Attachment 297882Attachment 297883Attachment 297884


Do u dose any ferts at all?
__________________
Bert2oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 610
yeah i have root tabs under them and i dose marco and mirco ferts
__________________

__________________
bhavik95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
root tabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do i need to use root tabs? Fishman007 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 10 10-21-2013 09:58 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.