Need Light Fixture Suggestion + Low-med Light Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sauroposeidon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had an Aqueon T5 dual light fixture on my 20" long, and now I need a new fixture. No, I don't want to talk about it. Maybe it was time for a change anyways, because I've been fancying some of this LED business.

So I've changed my stock plans to an African butterfly fish, bristlenose, and 10 pygmy corydoras, which has caused a change in light requirements, which has caused a change in plant selection.

ABF needs floating plants and low light, and a dark corner of the tank for a lair basically. I'm sure the cories would come out into the open more too if part of the tank was dark.

So plants! Low-med light plants! I like banana plants. They make lilies. Score. I was thinking about frogbit, but I'm not sold just yet.

The driftwood was looking bland, so I attached some old anubias on the underside, so the wood has some contrast against the black background. I have my heart set on anubias petite, whether it goes on the wood or lines a pathway in front of the tank. I don't want grassy, stringy plants for the foreground, and dwarf baby tears ain't gonna grow. I think I want a dark, slow growing moss recommendation, please. Also, any oddball plants.

So the light thing. I need a low light fixture (I think). ABF lair will have coverage. Will the banana plants do okay in low light, considering they are in a shallow tank? Additionally, I want to give the left side of the aquarium a shadow, so possibly a 24" light rather than a 30". I just bought a glass VersaTop and hear heat may crack them. Because of this (and saving money), I'm considering LED. I would like a daylight and moonlight function if possible. What light fixture is this?

image-2310215815.jpg
Here's a current view of the tank. Yanked the LED light off an Evolv8 for the time being. There's a medium piece of driftwood in the center that is hard to see. Left side is ABF lair, marked by a lonely banana plant. Right side is Pride Rock. (I'd like to think my bristlenose is Simba, cories would be gazelle, and ABF would be Scar, but maybe I'm being weird, I don't know.) I'm pulling the narrow leaf chain sword in the back. I want to keep the tank asymmetrically balanced, so low plants and high plants, especially strange ones - send suggestions my way please.

I had an Aqueon T5 dual light fixture on my 20" long, and now I need a new fixture. No, I don't want to talk about it. Maybe it was time for a change anyways, because I've been fancying some of this LED business.

So I've changed my stock plans to an African butterfly fish, bristlenose, and 10 pygmy corydoras, which has caused a change in light requirements, which has caused a change in plant selection.

ABF needs floating plants and low light, and a dark corner of the tank for a lair basically. I'm sure the cories would come out into the open more too if part of the tank was dark.

So plants! Low-med light plants! I like banana plants. They make lilies. Score. I was thinking about frogbit, but I'm not sold just yet.

The driftwood was looking bland, so I attached some old anubias on the underside, so the wood has some contrast against the black background. I have my heart set on anubias petite, whether it goes on the wood or lines a pathway in front of the tank. I don't want grassy, stringy plants for the foreground, and dwarf baby tears ain't gonna grow. I think I want a dark, slow growing moss recommendation, please. Also, any oddball plants.

So the light thing. I need a low light fixture (I think). ABF lair will have coverage. Will the banana plants do okay in low light, considering they are in a shallow tank? Additionally, I want to give the left side of the aquarium a shadow, so possibly a 24" light rather than a 30". I just bought a glass VersaTop and hear heat may crack them. Because of this (and saving money), I'm considering LED. I would like a daylight and moonlight function if possible. What light fixture is this?

Here's a current view of the tank. Yanked the LED light off an Evolv8 for the time being. There's a medium piece of driftwood in the center that is hard to see. Left side is ABF lair, marked by a lonely banana plant. Right side is Pride Rock. (I'd like to think my bristlenose is Simba, cories would be gazelle, and ABF would be Scar, but maybe I'm being weird, I don't know.) I'm pulling the narrow leaf chain sword in the back. I want to keep the tank asymmetrically balanced, so low plants and high plants, especially strange ones - send suggestions my way please.

Look on ebay at the beamswork led fixtures I've heard good thing about there led fixtures. I have one of there rgb fixtures on my 75 and its on par with a finnex monster ray but a little brighter and 80 dollars cheaper.

Look on ebay at the beamswork led fixtures I've heard good thing about there led fixtures. I have one of there rgb fixtures on my 75 and its on par with a finnex monster ray but a little brighter and 80 dollars cheaper.
Another light to consider is the Current Satellite LED+. It has RGB and moonlights(I think). It is also dimmable and lights effects, cloud cover, lightning etc. Brian_Nano12g has a thread on these and has a lot of knowledge on all things LED. He could give you advice on these or others to suit your needs....

I looked up Beamswork LEDs and saw a YouTube review of it, and that thing is bright! I think my ABF would hate me. Current USA Satellite LEDs . . . that thing is gorgeous. Now if only I can find it below $70.

I looked up Beamswork LEDs and saw a YouTube review of it, and that thing is bright! I think my ABF would hate me. Current USA Satellite LEDs . . . that thing is gorgeous. Now if only I can find it below $70.
Remember too, for plants, it's not the brightness of the light but the PAR values that count. That Current light has full spectrum too and with it being dimmable, it give you option for other plants now or in the future....

Remember too, for plants, it's not the brightness of the light but the PAR values that count. That Current light has full spectrum too and with it being dimmable, it give you option for other plants now or in the future....

It looks as if a tank depth of 12" = 36 micromoles, which sounds good considering I was looking in the 35-40 range. It doesn't seem like its super intense. Tech savvy, unique, and not much more than I paid for that T5 fixture.

It looks as if a tank depth of 12" = 36 micromoles, which sounds good considering I was looking in the 35-40 range. It doesn't seem like its super intense. Tech savvy, unique, and not much more than I paid for that T5 fixture.
And it costs less to run than T5's, without the added expense of replacing the bulbs. They are bringing out an even more powerful fixture, with a built in timer, in January. Brian has more details on his thread about these lights....

And it costs less to run than T5's, without the added expense of replacing the bulbs. They are bringing out an even more powerful fixture, with a built in timer, in January. Brian has more details on his thread about these lights....

I do like the satellite + for low light it would definitely work.

Satellite +, for sure. I had never heard of them! It's a real beaut and perfect for my tank.
Great choice. Brian_Nano12g is a big fan of these lights. I'm hanging on until Jan for the stronger version for my 55g. Good luck with it and don't forget to update the thread and post some pictures!!!

Great choice. Brian_Nano12g is a big fan of these lights. I'm hanging on until Jan for the stronger version for my 55g. Good luck with it and don't forget to update the thread and post some pictures!!!

For sure! Getting some more plants today!

Build my Led is having a Black Friday sale 10% off... i got my lights from them and they're excellent

Back
Top Bottom