Need opinions for a low-growing "carpet" species..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CGGorman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I really like the look of Riccia when used as a ground cover. Glosso is growing on me, too.

Riccia needs to be tied to something, right? How does Amano keep it down as a cover? 100 pieces of slate covering the substrate? That seems unlikely...and unhealthy.

What else is out there that provides a nice, dense carpet and stays under about 3" tall?
I've got pretty high light (200W of CF over 70 gallons) and pressurized CO2, so I should be good to go on most cover plants...

HC,Glosso,and Riccia are good choices for the foreground in the aquarium.Riccia can be a hassle because when the bottom is not exposed to light it dies then the top parts breaks off from the bottom part and makes a mess.Glosso grows too fast and then becomes a hassle to make it look presentable.I like HC but when it gets too thick the bottom dies and the tops float to the top,I suppose the same with Glosso.

Elatine triandra also makes a nice, fast-growing, low ground cover. If anything, it grows even faster than Glosso, although is otherwise similar in that it spreads by runners. I've always grown it with CO2 but I've heard that it grows well even without CO2, but still needs high-light.

You could also use plastic canvas as a base and nylon thread to attach it. Then just a little gravel or something to weight it down.

What is "HC"?

How about a carpet of pygmy chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus)?

Tenellus is nice but with any ground cover you plant, height will depend on lighting and pruning.

dwarf hair grass has worked pretty well for me both on my highlight excel tank and my lowlight tank, though in my lowlight tank it spreads MUCH slower.

OOOHH! That Hemianthus sound about perfect! Small scale, like the Riccia, but easier to plant and very tolerant.

Now, where to get some?

A pic of the "HC"

1499HC2-large.JPG

It is actually a pretty rare plant in the U.S I have some from Aqua Forest and I can send you some but it is a real slow grower and I am going to move soon so my shipments of HC to people might be delayed longer.You might have to wait awhile since I am going so send some to two other people before you.

Back
Top Bottom