Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2006, 03:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Need plant Ideas

Medium light, 3+w/g over 10 gallon tanks, may be upgrading to a 20 long. Dose EI with K2SO4, KNO3, KH2PO4, MgSO4, Calcium Citrate and CSM+B.

I really like the Ludwigia repens (Primrose) and Rotala Rotundifolia now that they seem like they could become a serious growth contendor. It took a while but I think they will survive and I will eventually have a good number of them. What I want, is something similar to them but takes root a little more quickly or at least grows a little faster. Not a real weed like sunset hygro but a good progress maker, maybe a different color. Also, I want to find a plant that will really make a difference in the the overall appearance of the tank, maybe color, maybe size, maybe just look but something that is a little more compact than my leafy plants.

Here is what I have:

Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig' Tropical Sunset,Rotala Rotundifolia, Hemianthus Callitrichoides Cuba, Crypt Becketti, Crypt Red Wendtii
Crypt Lucens, Java fern, Red Melon Sword, Rosetta Sword Echinodorus parviflorus "tropica", Wisteria, Water Sprite, Corkscrew Vals, Anubias barteri Nana, Ludwigia repens

I also have green foxtail but it is brand new and is my attempt to rescue it from the clutches of the LFS planted tank. I love my LFS but they know nothing about plants!

Old 09-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

To really set things off you might try Alternanthera reineckii. The strong red/pink color would really stand out. At 3wpg it should do ok. It will grow without CO2, just slowly.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

No other ideas? I can remove any amount of plants to set up the new look as long as the growth and nitrate uptake is equalled or at least close. There has to be something out there that will work for my tanks. Clovers? A really vine like plant? A plant with tons of small leaves? Anything to combine with the tanks.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:02 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I think you have a nice plant list and that as the tank dials in you'll find you have more than enough fast growers.

Second A. reineckii. I've not grown it, but I think Ludwigia arcuata would be a great plant for a 10gal. L. brevipes is nice and can go from green to orange to red.

Hydrotocyle in general are kind of vine-like. I first got H. leucocephala / Brazillian pennywort at Petco.

Bacopa australlis, Micranthemum umbrosum, and H. micranthemoides have lots of small leaves. I think Bacopas in general are underrated and have a nice leaf shape.

You might want to consider a challenging plant you like from pics. Really rewarding to learn this way.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

go find some yourself!!! lol jk. HERE is a sweet link u can brows through to get some ideas of what u would like. some really beautiful plants. i would add blyxa japonica(mine is red and i dont know why lol). it has a unique shape that i think would really add to what u already have. or maybe some hydrocotyle verticillata. it really adds to an aqua acape since it is soo different.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fine then, I will go and find my own

Too funny anyway. I think I have found a couple. I just know that the wisteria and water sprite are just too much for the 10 gallon tanks with any other plants. That and I can't get the water sprite to take off and root much if at all. I have found a couple and thanks for the link. That one is some of the best pictures yet.

I need to learn more about A. reineckii. as it looks really awesome and would make the tank really pop but I have a problem with high demand stem plants but I have recently learned that nutrients are huge players in their growth. Rotala Rotundifolia and Ludwigia repens have finally started to grow all be it slowly. I think the wisteria is eating all the nutrients before they get any. Lots of lessons to learn with combinations of plants.

Now if I can get my LFS to carry anyhting but java fern, anacharis, anubias and non-aquatics maybe I will be able to find some better plants.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

place an order on www.aquariumplants.com . this way u will get exactly what u want at a very good price. there are other online plant retailers but i have heard that is a good one. unless u have a really good store that will order plants specifically for u i doubt u will get the plants u want. i know big als will do custom orders for u if u have one locally. just an idea.

Tags
plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com