Need Recommendation for CO2 Solution for 40 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manix

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 40 gallon tank with 78watts of T5HO lighting. My tank is about 17 inches high. I currently have these plants in my tank.

• Bronze and Green Cryptocoryne
  • Narrow Leaf Green Temple
  • Lace Java Fern,
  • Ludwigia Repens
  • Dwarf Hairgrass (trying to get it to carpet)
  • Red Cabomba
  • Red and Green Foxtail
  • Red Tiger Lotus
Can I get away with a DIY CO2 injection similar to the Red Sea Turbo CO2 Bio System? I'm thinking of getting this and when I need a refill I'll mix the solutions myself. I'm basically buying it for the simple neat setup.

P46496.jpg

Or would I need something pressurized? :ermm:

My main goal is to keep as simple as possible because of the lack of room.

A pressurized system would be the way to go. I tried a 2L DIY CO2 system and it wasn't enough for my 29g. Bite the bullet and buy the pressurized system. It'll take up less space than the three or four 2L generators you'd need to have a chance at supplying your 40g. The pressurized system will give you better results too.

When you say "it wasn't enough" do you mean only plants closest to the CO2 will benefit from it? While plants further away will not be utilizing any.

I think this is where I get most confused. I don't know the reason why it wouldn't be sufficient for my tank.

You need constant CO2, not just CO2. Erratic and inconsistent CO2 will let algae get a foothold. DIY CO2 just isn't consistent enough for larger tanks, and the sheer output requirements usually isn't sufficient either.

I see. I may get the MA957 since its not too expensive.

Just need to find good instructions on how to set one up. I'm not familiar with it.

jetajockey said:
I've been looking at the aquatek setup on ebay, still undecided between it and the milwaukee myself.

I agree that you are much better off with a steady co2 flow, DIY co2 can be
very inconsistent and you can have various nagging algae issues because of it.

here's a neat writeup that should help. Setting Up A CO2 System | Regulator & Cylinder

Awesome! Thanks for the site.

I found a stickey for setting up the MA957.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/how-to-set-up-a-co2-system-137982.html

I need to see how much everything will cost first. And especially the size of the co2 tank. I am very limited on space.

A little more explanation: For optimal growth of the plants, you want a relatively constant concentration of dissolved CO2 in the water. DIY CO2 systems' CO2 output fluctuates over time, peaking shortly after the mixture is made and declining down to nothing. On top of that, the average DIY CO2 system doesn't put out enough CO2 to reach the desired levels in a tank larger than about 20g. I have seen people run a 55g with DIY CO2, but they used three or four 2L generators and still had BBA issues.

The cost of ingredients to run your CO2 generator add up over time. Pressurized CO2 has a high startup cost, but refills are pretty cheap. If you're lucky, you can find deals. Check craigslist for CO2 bottles. I got two 20lb or 25lb bottles for $40.

BigJim said:
A little more explanation: For optimal growth of the plants, you want a relatively constant concentration of dissolved CO2 in the water. DIY CO2 systems' CO2 output fluctuates over time, peaking shortly after the mixture is made and declining down to nothing. On top of that, the average DIY CO2 system doesn't put out enough CO2 to reach the desired levels in a tank larger than about 20g. I have seen people run a 55g with DIY CO2, but they used three or four 2L generators and still had BBA issues.

The cost of ingredients to run your CO2 generator add up over time. Pressurized CO2 has a high startup cost, but refills are pretty cheap. If you're lucky, you can find deals. Check craigslist for CO2 bottles. I got two 20lb or 25lb bottles for $40.

Thanks for reminding me about Craigslist. I totally forgot about that site. My only real concern is room. I need to see if I can fit a 5lb cylander.

So here is an update. I can't fit a 5lb cylinder so the next step is a 20oz.

I found a fish store called Nature Aquarium that got good reviews on Yelp. The owner is also one of the few who sells ADA products so I'm assuming he knows a lot about plants and CO2. From the reviews he has a few tanks with gorgeous Amano style designs in his shop.

He told me a 20oz paintball cylinder on a 40 gallon can last about 3 months.

Is this true?

I doubt that. my 5lb cylinder lasted about 3 months on my 40 breeder. Do you have a lot of stuff under your tank? I had two autodoser containers, two canister filters, and my 5lb cylinder under my 40b (the other canister came after this picture):

img_1628017_0_9987b7694b434b612f04ba65dbbb026c.jpg

img_1628017_1_baa0275a59e585dbc82be485648adb01.jpg

You can get a full pressurized setup for $150-200 if you order it all separately.

Yeah I have a lot of stuff underneath. And I tried moving stuff out but still no room. It's not the huge aquarium stands with a big storage area at the bottom. Don't know how to explain it. Sorry.

How long do you think 20oz will last?

I might stop by tomorrow and see it in person. That way I can relate from yelp reviews and see how accurate it is.

Be prepared to pay a pretty penny at that store. And, prepare to drool too. If it's the one I'm thinking of, that place should charge admission to see their tanks. A 20 oz wouldn't last very long on a 40 breeder. Maybe a few weeks? The cylinder doesn't have to be under the tank either. If you had anything you could put it in close by, or even have it set beside it, you can run tubing for quite a way.

Its in Santa Monica. I really want to stop by. Maybe i will take some pics if he lets me.

I'll see if he has a 5lb cylinder and do a size comparison. I've seen 2.5lb so maybe that will work if he has some.

He told me he'll show me everything to set it up and any info I need he is happy to help. Sounds like a really nice guy who enjoys the hobby.

Nope wrong store. The one you have is in San Francisco.. I've heard of that too. Way too far from me. It's a 7-8 hour drive

Mine is in Santa Monica California. 30 minute drive. :lol:

But if I see any good tanks I'll take a pic.

Oh, ok. It's all just California to me :) When you said ADA stuff, that's instantly the store I thought of. Good luck at your store. Let us know what you find.

I will thanks.

Since there aren't too many ADA certified resellers around this store should be pretty decent. But I'll find out soon.

Yeah I'm going to see him possibly tomorrow and ask questions. Why he feels it can last 3 months for a 20 oz. Anything I should know in terms of how to determine how fast co2 is being used?

I read about 30ppm is the norm. Maybe he is on the lower side to make it last longer?

Back
Top Bottom