Need some advice on ideas for a new 2.5 g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found a 10 inch finnex FugeRay planted plus clip on light for about $44. It's 5 watts. Would that be good for this tank? And would that make it medium or high light? The tank itself can be sold seperate from the light and filter. The I would get a sponge filter since I will have shrimp in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And I just found a 12-16 inch beamswork light. It has 30 6500k LEDs and 3 blue LEDs. Works under 4 watts. And it's $30

For the Planted+ it would depend how high the light is above the tank but you'd likely be looking at high light or the high end of medium. If you end up with no co2 I'd highly recommend a short photoperiod and/or light diffuser (such as window screen).

Nice! One of tonight's projects is setting up some led strips for the 3 nano tanks on my desk. Friday night fun :rolleyes:

Would the second light I posted about be better than the finnex one? It's also cheaper than finnex which is great! It seems a bit better than the stingray. If you wouldn't mind, please look at the beamswork and the stingray on Amazon, and which one might be best for my aquarium! Thanks for all the help!!

I'm not very familiar with the par values of any of the Beamswork fixtures but I'm guessing it would be pretty solid on a tank that shallow. I guess the best light for you ultimately depends on what your goals are. If this is going to specifically be a shrimp tank then it might be best to keep it lowtech without any co2, and in that case the Stingray would be a great option for growing lower light plants. The Beamswork will likely give you more plant options but will also mean more maintenance, Excel, etc. The Planted+ is a good option if you're looking to do a high maintenance high tech tank. One important thing to keep in mind is that a 2.5 gal is not very big so you won't be able to fit a ton of plants in there anyway. I'd recommend looking at other nano tanks of the same/similar size and get an idea of plants you like and the sort of scape/style you want.

Ok, how about using the next size up of the beamswork on a fluval spec V? I want it to be a shrimp/ betta tank. I want the plants to grow well though. :)

I suggest DIY CO2 immediately... Or adding a planted plus. I too was skeptical about diy but it's ridiculous easy. I've got a DIY setup on my 2.5 running a finnex planted plus. My chain swords are sending runners. All you need is tubing, a check valve and a diffuser. I found that the ceramic fluval works very well but takes a few hours. My mix is one tbsp yeast one tbst sugar. Shake every few days. Working good so far. That tank is sharp. I derimmed my aquaeon 2.5 to get the same look.

Good luck. Throw a betta in there and some larger amano shrimp. Swear I love my 2.5 more than my 20g planted community and 60g cichlid lol.

uploadfromtaptalk1425727410425.jpg

Just make sure the shrimp species won't get eaten if you are putting them with a betta.

The bettas can't eat the adults, only the babies. I want to have moss for lots of hiding places :)

I suggest DIY CO2 immediately... Or adding a planted plus. I too was skeptical about diy but it's ridiculous easy. I've got a DIY setup on my 2.5 running a finnex planted plus. My chain swords are sending runners. All you need is tubing, a check valve and a diffuser. I found that the ceramic fluval works very well but takes a few hours. My mix is one tbsp yeast one tbst sugar. Shake every few days. Working good so far. That tank is sharp. I derimmed my aquaeon 2.5 to get the same look.

Good luck. Throw a betta in there and some larger amano shrimp. Swear I love my 2.5 more than my 20g planted community and 60g cichlid lol.

View attachment 266608

I have diy co2 on another tank :) so the planted plus isn't too much for the small tank? And how long have you had it setup like that?

The bettas can't eat the adults, only the babies. I want to have moss for lots of hiding places :)

I think it depends on the fish. I tried a small sparkling gourami in one of my shrimp tanks, in very short time it attacked and killed a good-sized adult shrimp. On the other hand I have shrimp in my community tank, largest fish are cherry barbs but no adult shrimp have been killed.

I currently have a betta with shrimp and he doesn't eat anything. And I give them a huge clump of moss to hide in just incase. I have my eyes on a male betta and I'm getting him along with some other females, but he will have to wait in a 1 gallon for a while until the new tank would be ready and cycled. I'm hoping to order the tank today, and set it up sometime this week. I'm still waiting on selling my snails, but my LFS will take them for $1 a peice, but they only want 20 to start then they will buy more is they sell well.

Female bettas? I haven't had one in years. I've been tossing around the idea of setting up a NPT, I could get one for that :flowers:

What type of snails does your store buy from you?

I have a male and 2 females, obviously seperate :) but I'm getting a male for this 2.5 and 2 more females from somebody. I breed bettas too.
And I'm getting rid of red ramshorns!

NPT- non-planted tank. (I think)

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom