Need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbmeinen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon (tall) tank, stocked with some neons and glofish. My water out of the tap is high in nitrate so was looking into adding live plants to help with the nitrate levels in the tank. I have never had live plants in any tank I own so I am looking for some tips. Looking for some cheap/ hardy plants I can add that does not need much to grow and last. Are there any that will grow under blue actinic lights? Help is appreciated.

Plant will not benefit from actinic lighting...plants will benefit more in the 6500k range...

Light can be taken care of, looking for some plants that won't require special lighting. Some that will grow under fluorescent lamps

Java fern, Java moss, anubias, and bolbitis are all low light beginner plants.

Right now just have regular T8 fluorescent. Do those plants listed grow in gravel or do I need different substrate?

The java fern, java moss, and bolbitis need to be tied to a decoration. The anubias can be planted regularly.

You need a plant or two that will grow faster in order to really help with nitrates. Try getting a good amount of water sprite. You can plant it all or plant some and float some. I've grown water sprite in some pretty low light and it is known for mopping up a lot of excess nutrients in the water. But remember you need more than just a little plant of it. Get a couple and then trim and replant as it grows to get a fair amount growing in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom