Need some help with algae problems and a fert dosing routine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I said before...the issue may be your lighting...but that's assuming ferts are not a limiting factor for photosynthesis or contributing to the algae in your tank in any way. Too much of any one thing can cause issues but a lack of one nutrient(fertz or light) can cause issues as well.

fort384 said:
What is your nitrate testing at?

Normally around 10-15. That's the average before a weekly pwc...I also do more than 1 per week occasionally which would keep it even lower (I'm a little OCD about keeping things tidy).

Well, you need nitrate in a planted tank... But 10-15 is fine. Lower could cause your plants to be N limited which could cause algae growth. In this case since you don't seem to be N limited I would:

1. Replace the actinic bulb with a 6500-10000K bulb

2. Very conservatively dose a trace/K supplement like API Leafzone, tetra flora pride, or even flourish comprehensive

3. Set the photoperiod to 8 hrs, and tweak your photoperiod and dosing from there.

Keep in mind there wil be some algae in a planted tank. Complete eradication isn't likely to happen. The key is limiting it and keeping it under control. What's good for plants is good for algae.

fort384 said:
Well, you need nitrate in a planted tank... But 10-15 is fine. Lower could cause your plants to be N limited which could cause algae growth. In this case since you don't seem to be N limited I would:

2. Very conservatively dose a trace/K supplement like API Leafzone, tetra flora pride, or even flourish comprehensive

3. Set the photoperiod to 8 hrs, and tweak your photoperiod and dosing from there.

Keep in mind there wil be some algae in a planted tank. Complete eradication isn't likely to happen. The key is limiting it and keeping it under control. What's good for plants is good for algae.

Thanks...

The bulb I have now is a daylight, 39 watt, 6500K bulb. The the same maker has a "Flora Sun" plant growth bulb, but it is a 39 watt 5000K bulb with more of a reddish tint.

Would the one specifically for plant growth be efficient alongside the daylight one I have now even though it's 5000K?

I assume other brands fit my fixture...does the "plant growth" label with the reddish tint make a difference, or should I just add a second daylight like I have now?

Thanks for the help everyone :)

I'd skip the 5000k bulb and go with a 10000k that will provide more peaks in the blue. Any standard t5ho should fit your fixture.

Awesome advice everyone. I really appreciate it. I'll update in the future how it works out. Thanks!

Great advice...I completely agree.

Keep us updated and once you find a good routine, stick with what works. Consistency helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom