Need some help with my aquascape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This tank has been setup for a while now and gone through several changes. Most of the changes I've been happy with but this last one just has not come together well. The tank just looks bland and has no form. It's just a jumbled mess. Here's the catch though, I don't want to get rid of any plants if possible ( collectoritis :lol: ).

img_836419_0_06e11a6d5b2e6990f93f1207a92108cf.jpg

I'm working on a foreground again using glosso and hairgrass along with a ricca mound or two. I can really use some some advise on how to bring this scape together.

IMO, all that you are missing is a large inanimate focal point like a big hunk of driftwood, or a rock. That and a little selective pruning would make your tank look like an Amano tank.

If you could carve out a clearing a bit to either side of center and place some interesting stones, it would create a focal point that would contrast against the greenery.

I think if you trimmed it up a bit and added some thin branches, like Manzanita wood, it would look nice. :)

Hardscape is the answer. :D

There are some rocks in there but they are covered on xmas and flame moss. I'll try adding some more and post another pic to see what you all think.

I trim once a week, usually on saturdays. The asian ambulia is a beast to keep pruned though.

BTW I really appreciate the advise!

In addition to trimming and hardscape, your tank is very green. This is good for a planted tank but it doesn't have to be all green. You might added a touch of red. Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, and Cryptocoryne Wendtii (Red Variant, its really a light brown) would all likely grow well in your tank and add accents to the sea of green there.

How are you running this tank nowadays? What light and setup, please?

I have some nice reds if you need them. Replacing the Limnophila sessiliflora with some Pogostemon stellatus 'Broad Leaf' would probably set it off.

The tank is a 40g with 110w CF lighting (2.75wpg) and pressurized CO2 using EI dosing schedule.

I agree it does seem too green but there are a few red plants in there now. Crypt wendetti red, R. colorata, L. palustris, and L. repens are all growing in this tank. However the R. colorata and L. repens only get red as they are near the very top of the tank.

With that light level, Rotala macrandra would grow very nicely assuming you have medium to soft water.

BTW, given that amount of light, those plants that you mention should color up nicely. I run about the same amount of WPG on my 28 gallon and the colors are great.

Here is R. macrandra in my 28 gallon:

tank28(7).JPG

Talk about red. LOL

I'd love to be able to grow R. macrandra like that but I have tried that plant several times and it always just melts away :cry: . That plant along with L. glandulosa seem to be almost impossible for me to grow. No doubt due to me having hard water.

L. glandulosa grows very well in emersed form though :lol: .

I don't know why the ones I have don't color up well. I probably need to change out the CF bulbs cause they have been in there for about a year.

I agree with the light changing. I change mine out every 11-12 months. I know coralife recommends changing them every 9 to 10 months to ensure the spectrum doesn't shift too much.

I went to the LFS last weekend and picked up a cheap coralife dual 21w t-5 fixture for $40. In just a week the plants are looking good again. R. colorata is a bright red and didiplis diandra is turning orange-ish yellow again. Also my stargrass is growing more compact. I really like these t-5 lights. I think this shows that my CF bulbs do need replacing. In fact I might replace the CF fixture with another set of t-5s.

I picked up a couple pieces of driftwood the other day. The piece on the right has not fully soaked and is still a little bouyant so I can't put it in a good position yet. It's the only way it will sit at the moment. Any thoughts?

img_838622_0_76693c5f9a14f9008b4676728d09790c.jpg

Yes, I know it needs trimmed again :lol: .

Back
Top Bottom