Need to trim this plant, but don't know what it is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suprdave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to trim this plant before it reaches the top of the tank, but don't remember what kind it is nor how to properly trim it. Don't suppose anyone here can give me a hint eh?

aquaplant.jpg

Looks close, but the leaves are definitely different. Thinner and thicker

Oh, i'm sorry. I didn't realize the scientific name for wisteria is hygrophila. Although I have about 4 stems of wisteria, and when they were in my low light tank, the leaves looked like that, when moved to my somewhat medium light tank, new leaves grew that were broader and greener.

Yes Wisteria= Hygrophila difformis.The leaf shape is determined by the amount of light it gets, higher= light thinner leaves, lower light= wider leaves. Anyway just trim it to the height you want it above a leaf node(where the leaves grow from the stem) and replant the tops.

Last edited:
Ah! A search for hygrophila turned up the broader leaves, and wisteria turned up the thinner leaves. But yes, Wisteria rings a bell, that's definitely what it is.

Thanks!

That is wisteria, if it is happy you could trim it any where and both pieces will keep growing, as long as there is a node available.

Back
Top Bottom