Nerites - compatible with CO2 injection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can't remember where now, but in my quest for true freshwater nerites I poured through a lot of information about the olive / tiger's eyes that I have... Somewhere I read that they do not do well in pH under 7.0. I believe it was stated that their shells get eaten away in even slightly acidic water...

Well, I adjusted my pH up to 7.0 and increase my kH to around 130ppm, which brings my CO2 to about 22ppm... Today I decided to knock it back down to 6.9 to get closer to 30ppm of CO2... I know that a lot of you out there maintain a lower than neutral pH and am wondering if any of you care for nerites, if you have had any troubles under 7.0...

Mine seem to be more active in my shrimp tank where the pH is around 7.3 than my large tank with CO2 injection taking it down to 6.9 - 6.8....

Are you adjusting your CO2 levels to alter the Ph? Or are you adjusting the Ph with buffers. I ask, because changing your Ph with a buffer does not change the CO2 level. I doubt that is what you are doing, it was just how it read. ;-)

I have only been able to keep Nerites (Olives and Limpets) alive in my hardwater (Kh=7-8, Gh=12-14)tank. I tried to put some in my Nano. It has regular water (5-6Kh, Ph 6.6-6.8 ) and CO2. ECO complete is the subsrate. They died in a day in there. No chance for the shells to deteriorate. I use drip acclimation methods, so it's not like I had just dumped them in there either.
My CO2 injected tanks have MTS in them. The older ones have severe shell deterioration. IME Snails and CO2/Low Ph are not compatible in the long run.

Wow... That is news to me. Crap then.

My tap water is around 7.9 with kH of around 7. I use CO2 injection to bring it down to 6.8, which was giving me about 33ppm of CO2 in the water. I noticed that the water in my tank was getting harder (more kH), perhaps from some small doses of Epsom Salt? So the hardness was up to about 8 degrees or so, and I let off the CO2, bringing the pH back to 7.0, which is around 24ppm of CO2...

The nerites and MTS I have in the main tank seem ok, but much less active than the ones I have in my nano tank with the shrimp... I have brought the pH back down to 6.9, thus my concern. They have been in there for at least a few weeks though, and don't seem to be dying.

I am wondering if I buffer my base pH up and then inject more CO2 if I can maintain a neutral pH with 30ppm+ of CO2... ?

Back
Top Bottom