New 10 gal planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EH81821

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. Just snagged a 10 G from petco 50% sale and wanted to just do a planted tank not really thinking of having fish in it more thinking a tank to grow/nurse plants for my other tanks. Would love some suggestions on what I should put in it. Never done a heavy planted tank so more info the better! Looking forward on hearing some thoughts! ��

A word of caution on plant only tanks.

Plants need the waste produced by fish for nutrients. Nitrogen and phosphates are important nutrients for plants and in most aquariums this comes from fish waste. Without fish waste you would need a fertiliser that contains these, but most aquarium specific fertiliser doesnt because its normally in abundance due to the fish. In a planted tank, with few (or no) fish you need to use something like NA Thrive. I notice you are US based so you should be able to get hold of Thrive.

Thanks for the info. Do you suggest I start with the plants and maybe a small neon tetra school then? If so do you have any plants you’d recommend

It's hard to go wrong with Amazon sword, Java moss, and Java fern. A mystery snail will produce waste for you too

Back
Top Bottom