New 10g planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just started a 10g planted tank, on a fish free cycle now. Any ideas on a breeder tank (egg depositor fish)? Could I do angelfish?? I want a fish that will bring the fry up there selfs.

Angelfish are not suitable for a tank that small. You could do something like Apistogramma Double Red Agassizii pair or trio in a tank that size. They raise their fry.

Egg layers are not easy to breed in such a small tank . I know people who breed Dwarf Cory Cats, but they prefer 20gLong tanks.

But Cory Cats aren't great parents. The easiest egg layers and best parents are certain Cichlids IMHO, but because they are easy you can't give the babies away ( think Convicts ).

I've need thinking of Apistogramma Double Red Agassizii? Why are your thoughts on this? I will take some first pictures of the tank later, still a lot to do and will need filling suggestions.
I only have pea gravel in at the moment with 2 tall plants but I'm not happy with the position so ill be moving them.

The only thing you will absolutely need to get/make are caves. Many people get the plain clay flower pots, I believe the 2" size, and use them. Plus there are other options. You should give them about 3 caves to choose from. Plus adding more plants would be good. Water sprite or wisteria would be an easy good one to use.

The only thing you will absolutely need to get/make are caves. Many people get the plain clay flower pots, I believe the 2" size, and use them. Plus there are other options. You should give them about 3 caves to choose from. Plus adding more plants would be good. Water sprite or wisteria would be an easy good one to use.

I've got a big piece of marble rock I'm goin to break up an make hiding places with them, the plants you mentioned, are they small low 1's? The 2 I have are tall, I'm moved them into better positions now so will take a photo soon.

Make sure you get a cave too. Apistos or kribs are good choices. But in this tank size probably no tan mates. Another option is a nano tank with cpds and Pygmy corys

First stages of my new tank build, cycling with no fish :)... The hood is what I've just made if it looks abit odd.

image-54951318.jpg

I've got a big piece of marble rock I'm goin to break up an make hiding places with them, the plants you mentioned, are they small low 1's? The 2 I have are tall, I'm moved them into better positions now so will take a photo soon.

Just be sure they are cave like as that is what they spawn in. That is why I mentioned small clay pots. The water sprite and wisteria you keep cut at the height/size you want. Just give them a snip and that's it for trimming. You can then replant or float any clipping if you want. Something else good would be a crypt or two. They are mid size plants when they get older.

Here's a few new photos of my tank, got 3 more smaller plants 1 of which grows on wood so I've attached it to the new driftwood I brought, also added some rock.
Got some stuff that brings PH down to 6.5 but with the plants and wood, wood that lower it to them levels?

image-3570220508.jpg

image-2121150825.jpg

image-3579880620.jpg

image-578761855.jpg

Have just added 1 male and 1 female rainbow cichlids... Lets hope they breed and look after the fry theirselves

No not kribs, they had them there as well though, these are just called as per label... Rainbow Cichlid. Does anyone have pictures of showing how to sex them? I've looked on the net of how to do it, makes have pointed anal fin and female don't, but it's hard to tell as they're young. The person who bagged them up said that is 1 male and 1 female, but I asked someone else in the shop and they seemed they were both male! So now I'm confused

These are true Rainbow cichlids. They say they only get to 3" in an aquarium but others say 5" so not sure if they will work long run in your 10g. They do tend to their fry tho.

EDIT: They will do better in a 20g long term.

These are true Rainbow cichlids. They say they only get to 3" in an aquarium but others say 5" so not sure if they will work long run in your 10g. They do tend to their fry tho.

EDIT: They will do better in a 20g long term.

This is just start them breeding, the misses don't know yet that I'm thinking of getting tank number 4 lol, does the photo look female to you?

Back
Top Bottom