Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Question new 10gal planted- substrate ?

I am going to be setting up a 10 gallon in my apt in about week and I'm trying to decide what substrate to use. I love Anubias sp. and I'm going to be taking a couple of cuttings from my 54 gallon and put them into the new 10. I have Anubias nana and I believe barteri. I will probably also pick up some Hygrophila difformis, Cryptycoryne wendtii, a couple Aponogetons and a dwarf lily.

I was thinking Eco-Complete would be the best choice. Or should I just go with Flourite? Any other recommendations?

Also how much substrate would I need, like for Eco-Complete one bag should be enough?

The tank will be lit with a 32 watt pc fixture, I will either keep the 10,000k bulb in there or lower the light and use a 50/50 bulb I have. No CO2 supplementation.

The tank will probably end up having something like 3 cory cats and 6-8 male guppies for color. I'm looking to make this relatively cheap and simple since I already have 3 nano reefs and a 54 gallon planted.

TIA

Old 12-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love the Carribean Tropical Sand Stuff, it's black. No benefical stuff, ect. but looks great compared to any of that eco-complete and stuff.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

i would go with eco complete, no rinsing and doesnt cloud your tank. 1 bag is enough for a 10g. light sounds good with the 32 watt fixture, plants sound good, and if you wanted you could easily add a diy co2 for a fun experiment. sounds good
Old 12-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
Sliced Bread

Eco would be a good choice.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great. Thanks guys. I will be picking up a bag of EcoComplete and setting up the tank this weekend.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

let us know how the fluorite works out. i currently use plant supplement added as a liquid. not a firm believer of the fluorite and co2. haven't used it in my tanks --so if the feedback is good i would consider it for my next tank.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm going with the eco complete instead of flourite. I've never used either before.

Tags
10 gallon, plant, planted, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com