New 29 Gal Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the comments guys. I owe any successes I have had with my tank to AA, especially purrbox, czcz, elwaine, fishcrazybenbomb, and a few others. You all have been a tremendous source of knowledge and help, and I thank you.

with the amount of air coming from your plants, can you completely forget about airstones?

with the amount of air coming from your plants, can you completely forget about airstones?

Well besides the point that your plants give off enough oxygen for the fish to survive, they stuck in Co2 during the day. Which if you put an airstone in the water it will just push it all out. Your plants need that Co2 to survive.

If your worried about running an airstone, I suggest running one at night only. The time that the lights are off in other words. When the lights are off the plants give off Co2, which is deff not good for your fish. At this time you maybe run and airstone during night to push someout that out and give the water some oxygen.

Once you turn your lights back on, turn the airstone off.

Yeah, Ben is right. I don't run any airstones in my tank. I use a pH controller to inject CO2, so it keeps it pretty constant, even at night. When I was running a DIY Co2 system, (always on obviously), I ran an airstone while the lights were off to keep the CO2 from reaching lethal levels.

ok. i dont have a co2 system in place yet. so my fish and other decaying materials in the tank are my only source of co2. if i have a rather large bubble curtain, is that pushing the little co2 out of the tank that i have?

In a non CO2 injected aquarium, having an airstone can be beneficial since it will actually keep CO2 levels up to ambient levels. Of course a good filter which is set to agitates the water surface slightly will do just as good of a job.

fort, this looks absolutely awesome! I just set up my first planted 29 gallon in the beginning of February. I have a 65 watt 6700k light and am using Excel for co2. Last time you mentioned it, you said you had 74 watts in your tank. I am definitely not seeing the type of growth you're getting. Could you give me any/all information you have about getting a co2 reactor (is that what it's called?) setup? I have no idea how to even start with that, but I am guessing that it will make my plants grow a lot faster than Excel will? I of course am using all of the other Seachem ferts as well.

Not really Ben, nothing has really changed - still looks about the same. I did do a massive trimming last week, replanted all the stems in the back, and got rid of I would say 50 or so gangly looking stems, trimmed the tops and replanted.

Pretty amazing how much biomass is in the tank considering I started with about 3 or 4 of those stems.

Well, you asked for it. Here are a couple of crappy pics post-trimming:
19738-albums313-picture3344.jpg

19738-albums313-picture3343.jpg

Your tank has really come along way. Bet the fish are loving it.

Well, the tank has not changed much. Everything is chugging along. I did move some of the rotala macranda from my 5G into the 29. It looks really nice under the T5HO lighting.

Here are a few new pics:
19738-albums313-picture3748.jpg

ROTALA MACRANDA
19738-albums313-picture3749.jpg

PEARLING RICCIA:
19738-albums313-picture3747.jpg

Yeah I know the IPhone camera isn't very good... too lazy to break out the digital camera.

Now for the news / question:
I am moving all the way across the country in about 6 weeks. (I am in the military and changing stations). Most likely it will take me awhile as I will stop home for a week, and then I have to find a house to buy when I get where I am going. So what the heck do I do with my tanks? I am thinking there is no way the fish are going to survive, so I will probably just give them away. But what about the plants? Can I keep them in buckets and just set them up with a light when I can? Will they stay alive? Should I just scrap everything and start over when I get set up on the other end? What if I mail most of my plants to someone, and then have them ship some clippings back to me on the other end when I am settled? Would that be my best bet? Anyone have room for a bunch of plants? :)

That is a great idea to send the plants to someone with a very similar set up and then have clippings back to you when you're settled in. Your tanks look so good now it is hard to believe you are going to have to take them down.

I have kept some plants alive in a bucket for a couple of weeks but some melt.

You might try and post where you are going and see if there is anyone in the new town that you could mail them to, after all there are people on here from all over.

good luck

Fort, you have been a major help to me and your tank rules. I wish I could help but my tank is too small. Funny thing is the way my LFS's here handle their plants and they are all surviving! I'd have to say with the info you've provided me that YOU probably know more about how to handle that than anyone. :) Good luck on the move my friend and I'd help if I could.

fort. your riccia looks awesome. how is it attached? i'm trying to blanket my substrate with it in some mesh right now. i hope it grows in soon. the mesh looks like CRAP! where are you moving to? i'm more than happy to help you if i can. i dont have a ton of room but i'll accomodate some plants for a few weeks if you want. i have 1.96 wpg, diy co2 and i dose.

The riccia is just tied down with fishing line.

I actually found a local school teacher who has a lot of room for my fish and plants in his class room. And he agreed to ship me a lot of plants once I am settled so it should work out. Thanks though guys for the offers.

Back
Top Bottom