New 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akillerbluesky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i am planing on starting a new 29g tank. im getting a used tank and Marineland Eclipse Aquarium Lighting and Filtration System Eclipse 3
12.5" x 30", 250 gph (950 L/h).

i am planning on using live plants and open to suggestions on wish plants to use and what substrate to use. this will be my first planted tank.

my main question is my fish list. i want to order from Freshwater Aquarium and Pond Plants | Arizona Aquatic Gardens

2-Blue Paradise Fish
2-Emerald Green Cory Cat
2-Gardneri Clown Killifish-Killifish
6-Green Neon Tetra
1-Chocolate Rhino Pleco

advice will help

First off I would remove the Paradise fish off your list. They are predators and quite mean. Also you need to go with a small pleco such as a bristlenose pleco. I have a longfin albino pleco that is quite active during the day and is small and safe for plants. Other than those two your list looks good.

IMO you will need to do low light tolerant plants with this set up. You can do anubia, java ferns (regular and Windelov), bolbitus (african fern), and crypts. These would be your best options.

what about this plant list

1 Anacharis
2 Blood Stargrass
3 Japanese Fans
1 Dwarf Lily Plant
4 Dwarf Onions
1 Ambulia
10 Tall Sagittaria subulata
1 small red-spot Ozelot sword
8 Crypt Walkeri
3 Java Ferns

i have also tossed around the idea of not using the Marineland Eclipse filter and modifying the hood to accept a Rena XP3. its a used salt filter i bought for $50. so there would be major cleaning to be done.

with taking off the Paradise. do you think i could switch it with 2 Dwarf Bolivian Ram Cichlid?

i really want a fish heavy tank for my daughter to look at.

i have also tossed around the idea of not using the Marineland Eclipse filter and modifying the hood to accept a Rena XP3. its a used salt filter i bought for $50. so there would be major cleaning to be done.

with taking off the Paradise. do you think i could switch it with 2 Dwarf Bolivian Ram Cichlids.

The plant list should be fine as would the Bolivian Rams. I used to have reef tanks and found that by just soaking the filters overnight in some vinegar water mix they would clean up pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom