New 29 Gallon Planted Tank - Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keithjfuller

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm going to start a 29 gallon freshwater planted tank and I was hoping to get some advice. To give you a clearer picture of what I want I'd say that this will be a moderately planted tank with a good number of smaller schooling fish (tetras, rasboras, etc.), a few guppies (which I hope will make new guppies), a few shrimp, and maybe one or two "cooler" fish. Anyway, here are my questions:

First, glass or acrylic. I'm leaning towards glass because it's cheaper, doesn't scratch as much, and I can get one right away. However, I'm going to build my own cabinet and canopy, but I'm curious if the canopy (not a really big one) will put too much weight on the tank?

Second, what sort of substrate do you recommend? Also, I'd like some parts of the tank to have sand, but what type of gravel should I go with by the planted parts?

Third, I think I'm going to get a Fluval 206 - do you think this will be enough?

Fourth, what types of lights should I get? If you have direct links to certain ones that you love please feel free to post them.

Finally, CO2 or no? I'd love to not have to spend the money and time on CO2. I'm hoping that I can get away with some stuff like Excel and have enough fish in the tank to provide CO2 and fertilizers. I don't need my plants to go nuts, just stay alive and do a small amount of growing.

I'm sure these questions will lead me to new ones, but I'd really love to get things right before starting a project like this. I appreciate all the advice that people give, and I'll be happy to share the plans to my cabinet and canopy once I figure out exactly what I want. Thanks again.

So I'm going to start a 29 gallon freshwater planted tank and I was hoping to get some advice. To give you a clearer picture of what I want I'd say that this will be a moderately planted tank with a good number of smaller schooling fish (tetras, rasboras, etc.), a few guppies (which I hope will make new guppies), a few shrimp, and maybe one or two "cooler" fish. Anyway, here are my questions:

First, glass or acrylic. I'm leaning towards glass because it's cheaper, doesn't scratch as much, and I can get one right away. However, I'm going to build my own cabinet and canopy, but I'm curious if the canopy (not a really big one) will put too much weight on the tank?

Second, what sort of substrate do you recommend? Also, I'd like some parts of the tank to have sand, but what type of gravel should I go with by the planted parts?

Third, I think I'm going to get a Fluval 206 - do you think this will be enough?

Fourth, what types of lights should I get? If you have direct links to certain ones that you love please feel free to post them.

Finally, CO2 or no? I'd love to not have to spend the money and time on CO2. I'm hoping that I can get away with some stuff like Excel and have enough fish in the tank to provide CO2 and fertilizers. I don't need my plants to go nuts, just stay alive and do a small amount of growing.

I'm sure these questions will lead me to new ones, but I'd really love to get things right before starting a project like this. I appreciate all the advice that people give, and I'll be happy to share the plans to my cabinet and canopy once I figure out exactly what I want. Thanks again.

You sound like you have a good idea of what you want already, so well done on that. Lets see...

I'd go with glass, for the reasons you already specified. I don't think a canopy will cause any problems, as long as you keep the weight down.

Many people like Eco complete for substrate, you'll still need root tabs to fertilize heavy root feeders like swords and crypts.

The filter choice sounds good. More is always better, plus the fluvals have flow controls. Not sure on the gph between the 206 or 306. I love my 106 on my 12 gallon though.

As far as lights, if you're going to be utilizing a canopy, corallinealgae uses led floodlights you can find on ebay for really cheap, with great success. You might wanna send him a pm for specifics. He's running a 20g with canopy.

Lastly, your need for co2 all depends on how intense you go with the lights. If you keep it moderate, excel will be just fine.

Hope this helped! (y)

How long is your tank? What's your budget on lighting? Do you want to grow low light plants or moderate/high light ones?

You can go with traditional t5ho lighting for lower upfront cost but you'll pay in the long run in terms of higher energy consumption and buying replacement bulbs. Or you can pay a little more upfront cost and go with LED's. I use the Finnex Ray 2 on two of my tanks.

I have the Fluval 106 and a 306.. Both great filters so the 206 would be great. I actually have the 306 on my 26g, so you can go 306 if you want to overfilter (which is never a bad thing). Like Bill said, there's a flow control on them.

I think CO2 injection is well worth it. You'll see better overall growth from your plants. If money is tight for a pressurized system, you can setup a DIY CO2 system and supplement Excel (or Glutaraldehyde) as well. All depending on your light choice and the plants you want to grow of course.

Thanks for the responses so far.

The dimensions are going to be 30x18x12. Also, most of the plants are going to be on the "upper level." I'm planning on having sand on most of the lower level and maybe some substrate and one or two plants. the upper level is going to mostly have grass-type plants and possibly some pennywort type stuff with the substrate (sounds like I'll go with the Eco-Complete).

So, i'm assuming that means that I can get away with a lower powered light since most of the plants will be closer to the light source? But if I need more I'll do that. I'm just trying to avoid algae takeovers with too much light since I don't want to do CO2. But if I have to, then I will.

Also, I don't mind spending the extra 15 bucks on the 306 over the 206, but I've heard that over-filtering isn't desirable with planted tanks - but I don't know (that's why I'm asking for all your expert advice).

I'm in grad school, and have a few exams this week, but when I get a break I will draw out some rough sketches of what I'm thinking so I can give you guys a clearer picture (pun intended) of what I'm going for.

Thanks again. I really appreciate all the advice.

So i wanted to give a quick update:

I found a tank, but I have two options from my local Petco.

1 - Aqueon 29g Glass (30x18x12) for 56.99 + tax
2 - Aqueon 29g (same tank) Deluxe Kit for 104.99 + tax. This is a link to a different place selling it because I couldn't find it on Petco's site - Aqueon Deluxe Aquarium Kit, 29 Gallon :: Aquarium Kits :: Aquariums & Stands :: Aquarium :: Pet Supply Center :: CountryMax.com

So, I know I won't use the filter - I'm getting either a Fluval 206 or 306. But, this kit comes with a heater, thermometer, hood, light, net, and other things that I won't really use. Now, my main question is - will that light fixture be enough for the plated tank if I put a better bulb in there, or will I have to get a new fixture as well?

If I can get a new bulb only, it would be totally worth it. However, if I have to get a new hood I'm basically paying $40 for a heater, thermometer, net, and other little things.

Thanks for the input.

I don't think the stock light/hood on that 29 would be good for growing plants. If anything, it may support low light plants but you won't see any lush growth out of them. It's only 4 gallons less, but this kit that comes with a T5NO will do better:
25 Gallon Fish Tank » Aqueon 25 Gallon Premium Aquarium Kit | PetSmart

I'm pretty set on the 29g because of it's dimensions, so I might just get the tank by itself.

I'm also confused, what is the difference between different fixtures? I thought the bulb was what mattered? Is the only difference in the amount of lights a fixture holds, or is there more to it?

Also, I'm not looking for too too too much light because I really don't want to get a CO2 system, and everything I've heard says that too much light and no CO2 means algae like woah.

I'm pretty set on the 29g because of it's dimensions, so I might just get the tank by itself.

I'm also confused, what is the difference between different fixtures? I thought the bulb was what mattered? Is the only difference in the amount of lights a fixture holds, or is there more to it?

Also, I'm not looking for too too too much light because I really don't want to get a CO2 system, and everything I've heard says that too much light and no CO2 means algae like woah.

The difference between fixtures is the ballast. You can't put a ho bulb in an no fixture because the ballasts will blow.

A good light for you IMO would be aqueons dual t5 no. That's what I have on my 29. So far nice growth and good quality. I don't have co2 but I do dose excel.

Well I'm not a light expert but I know the bulbs in fluorescent lighting aren't interchangeable. Like if you have a fixture designed for a T8, it's not like you can pop in a T5 bulb. The ballast, wattage, and size are different I believe. I believe the difference between a T5NO (normal output) and a T5HO (high output) are the reflectors. The T5HO will have reflectors that amplify that lighting for the same amount of watts (power to light ratios). You just need to determine the lighting you want to get based on your needs and budget. Factor in the distance from light to substrate and you have a good starting point in selecting the right lighting...

Even if you went for moderate lighting and you start to see algae, you don't necessarly have to add a co2 system. Although I'm a firm believer co2 makes the world of difference in growing plants, you can get away with just using a liquid carbon like Excel or generic Excel, known as Glutaraldehyde.

Here are some charts on light intensity that may help:
PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart

Good reads:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/lighting-guide-for-a-planted-tank-141782.html

Aquarium-Lighting-Guide.com - Metal Halide, Fluorescent, Compact Fluorescent, VHO, T5, Reef Aquarium Lighting, Planted Tank Lighting

Yeah I think for low to medium light plants, the Aqueon T5NO would do alright... You'll need to get a glass versa top as that light is not recommended to just sit over an open top.
Another option, is the 30" Finnex FugeRay LED fixture... it's perfect for low light plants IMO.

Aqueon T5:
Freshwater Aquarium Lighting » Aqueon® Freshwater T5 Light Fixture | PetSmart
Versa Top:
Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: Aqueon Versa-Tops
Finnex FugeRay 30" (click the "2 new" to select Amazon's option for free shipping):
Amazon.com: Finnex FugeRay Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 30-Inch: Pet Supplies

Yeah I think for low to medium light plants, the Aqueon T5NO would do alright... You'll need to get a glass versa top as that light is not recommended to just sit over an open top.
Another option, is the 30" Finnex FugeRay LED fixture... it's perfect for low light plants IMO.

Aqueon T5:
Versa Top:
Finnex FugeRay 30" (click the "2 new" to select Amazon's option for free shipping):
Amazon.com: Finnex FugeRay Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 30-Inch: Pet Supplies

Flu val makes some nice kits with good filters and heaters. I priced it all out when I was in the market and the aqueon light and kit was cheaper than buying everything seperatly

Aqueon T5:
Versa Top:

Thanks for the links. Why are the hoods so much? If that's what they cost then I guess I'll get them, but it seems pricey.

I'm making a canopy - so can I just buy some fixtures at the hardware store and attach them to the bottom of my canopy?

I just noticed that the T5 Aqueon kit comes with 2 bulbs for 69.99, so i guess that's not too bad.

Yeah I suppose you can attach it. The Aqueon T5 comes with 2 bulbs and a splash guard. So I guess a versa top may not be needed. The 30" versa top is $20, is that expensive? Does the fixture just hang or attach somehow to the canopy? I never had a canopy so I'm clueless...

Yeah I suppose you can attach it. The Aqueon T5 comes with 2 bulbs and a splash guard. So I guess a versa top may not be needed. The 30" versa top is $20, is that expensive? Does the fixture just hang or attach somehow to the canopy? I never had a canopy so I'm clueless...

You just place the fixture on top of the canopy.

I didn't mean that the versa top was expensive, I was referring to the fixture. I thought it was $70 but then I realized it came with 2 bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom