New 54 gallon corner tank - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MykeVS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm in the process of setting up a 54 gallon aqueon corner aquarium. I've been doing a lot of research and eco complete seems like the best option in terms of ease of maintenance (no washing) and performance. However, I don't like black substrates and was wondering if I could cap the eco complete with new gravel or gravel from my existing tank. I currently have CaribSea "Peace River" which is a light substrate. I understand that over time the finer gravel might sink below the larger pieces of ecocomplete which won't look particularly good. Nonetheless is that an option ?

Also any recommendation on lighting ? I was considering the Finnex 24/7 30" as the versa top is only about 30" max but wasn't sure how I could amount it or if it was even enough. I have the 36" current led pro currently on my 45 and that works fine but they only make a 24" and not a 30" which wouldn't seem to be enough light. I wish I could just use my current 36" satellite pro but doesn't seem feasible. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

Hi, I'm in the process of setting up a 54 gallon aqueon corner aquarium. I've been doing a lot of research and eco complete seems like the best option in terms of ease of maintenance (no washing) and performance. However, I don't like black substrates and was wondering if I could cap the eco complete with new gravel or gravel from my existing tank. I currently have CaribSea "Peace River" which is a light substrate. I understand that over time the finer gravel might sink below the larger pieces of ecocomplete which won't look particularly good. Nonetheless is that an option ?

Also any recommendation on lighting ? I was considering the Finnex 24/7 30" as the versa top is only about 30" max but wasn't sure how I could amount it or if it was even enough. I have the 36" current led pro currently on my 45 and that works fine but they only make a 24" and not a 30" which wouldn't seem to be enough light. I wish I could just use my current 36" satellite pro but doesn't seem feasible. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

Depending how deep the tank you might want something a little stronger than the finnex. Corner tanks are hard due to the shape.

Also depends on what you want to grow, some down lights mounted into the hood might work better than a bar of LED's then you can put them in a pattern that gives you maximum spread.

You can get Eco is different colours. I had red and orange in my last tank. Might be worth asking you lfs if they can get any other colours.

Back
Top Bottom