New 55g Aquarium Plant Build- Progress-Lovci

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovci

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't see a lot of these threads, and I think they are beneficial to members looking for information. Now I am extrememly new, and with this build, failure or not, I hope to get some advice for myself and others.

I guess I will start with the few essentials on my build. Nothing fancy.

55g tank.
Two 55g hof's.
MarineLand Double bright LED
60lbs caribsea eco complete on top of 40lbs of some larger gravel.
2 random petco plants
Dwarf hairgrass

I will be using seachem flourish tabs and excel. I do not have co2 and do not plan on using it.

Anyways, I will post my day 1 picture. The two petco plants seem to be doing well before I even added my plant lights, etc.
Day 1

day1o.jpg

Looks good ! I m building a 55g right now, too. Need to put my 2 Koi Angels in their own tank, they re snotty to my Platys when they get fed. Also putting 10 Zebra loaches in, the 3 I have are much to active for my Cory's liking. Please, post update pics of yours. I love watching builds.

Looks great, a nice big piece of driftwood would be nice. I see an angel? And a blood parrot? Anything else?

Looks good ! I m building a 55g right now, too. Need to put my 2 Koi Angels in their own tank, they re snotty to my Platys when they get fed. Also putting 10 Zebra loaches in, the 3 I have are much to active for my Cory's liking. Please, post update pics of yours. I love watching builds.
Ya, I'll be updating every week, which is a Saturday. Just got the flourish tabs and excel yesterday.

The tank was still cloudy from the new substrate in this pic, but it is as clear as could be now.

Looks great, a nice big piece of driftwood would be nice. I see an angel? And a blood parrot? Anything else?
Driftwood wood be cool, just havent found the right piece yet.

I got a blood parrot, and that's actually a red slider turtle heading up to his basking area. They get a long pretty well. Probably not a good idea as the turtle gets older, but we will see. If he goes into the parrots cave, the parrot attacks, but he is incapable of hurting him. I think the turtle goes in there just to { mod edit }with him, at least thats what it looks like. I also got 1 glow tetra... He killed the others for some reason. I feel bad he is alone, but im not going to buy more if he's just killing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what do Dwarf Hairgrass runners look like. Are the y just random sprouts throughout the tank or do they spread off of the current plots?

I can't be 100% sure, but a few of the plots I spread throughout look to have 1-2 little new growths.. Again not sure these are new.

Week 1
You can see I made a few small changes. Flipped the background around. (Like the black better) Moved that rock in the middle slightly. Also, my turtle won't leave the smaller petco plants alone. I think it depends on where I place them. Not really bothered by that though.

I'm also sorry, the pictures this week seem to have a glare of the plants.

day24w.jpg

The bigger petco plant has just been thriving. It has gotten a bit bigger. Anyone know the name?

day23.jpg

So is this a runner? Circled it, but hard to see from glare.

day221.jpg

Other side of tank.

day2c.jpg

You can check out my 55 build if you think it can be helpful.

Make sure you research your plants needs.

You might run into issues with the Dwarf hairgrass. I learned after trying to grow it for the past 6 months that it really requires a true co2 source and wont utilize the liquid co2 at all. After all that time of daily ferts and excel dosing it has yet to spread or even really grow.. at all

You might run into issues with the Dwarf hairgrass. I learned after trying to grow it for the past 6 months that it really requires a true co2 source and wont utilize the liquid co2 at all. After all that time of daily ferts and excel dosing it has yet to spread or even really grow.. at all
Well... IDK man. It's been planted for 9 days now, and only been using excel and tabs for 6 days, and almost every plot has 2-3 new runners coming off of it.

Obviously I'm new to this, but from what I have read there could be a multitude of reasons it didn't grow for you. I have also read of people having success with lesser light then mine.

I've had dwarf hairgrass planted for about a month with only flourish comprehensive and excel supplements and there has been some growth but not nearly the same rate as with pressurized CO2. World of difference.

Here is a night shot just to let people know what the marineland double led looks like at night. Looks brighter in the picture then it really is. I added a few plants. Will explain in my weekly update on Saturday.

nightshotp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom