New 55g, need low maintenance plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karatepig

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, this is my first experience with live plants. I'm setting up a 55 gallon and here is my stock:

Polka-Dot Loach / Botia Kubotai x5
Black Kuhli Loach / Pangio Kuhlii x6
Cardinal Tetra / Paracheirodon axelrodi x10
Gold Neon Tetra / Paracheirodon innesi x10
Sailfin Pleco / Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps x1 (Don't harp on this guy's potential size, I know.)

Gold Neon Tetras may be switched out later but for now, this is the stock I plan to go with. In the tank I will be having a large piece of driftwood covering some pvc. I want to cover up that area of the drift wood with perhaps some java moss or some other cheap, low maintenance, and hardy plant that grows fast. I also would like some plants that will keep my loaches happy and give them plenty of places to hide.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Your lighting will determine the type of plants you can successfully grow. It will also determine if you need to use liquid carbon or CO2 and what type of ferts.

Low light plants that work on DW would be Anubia's, Java Fern's, and Bolbitus. Crypts, water sprite, and Jungle Val will also usually work in lower light. Crypts need root tabs.

Your lighting will determine the type of plants you can successfully grow. It will also determine if you need to use liquid carbon or CO2 and what type of ferts.

Low light plants that work on DW would be Anubia's, Java Fern's, and Bolbitus. Crypts, water sprite, and Jungle Val will also usually work in lower light. Crypts need root tabs.

You're just full of help aren't you? :)
Would those low light plants do okay in bright lights? I'm not 100% sure of the bulb strength, I haven't physically seen the tank yet, I will be getting it within the next week (it has a hood w/ lamp and a HOB filter).
I'll also be looking at some different substrates and decorations that my grandfather has in storage. What characteristics of gravel would be good for my loaches that will support live plants?

The plants will work in higher light. As for substrate sand, or something like Eco-complete Fine would be best for loaches. Plants also do better in smaller grained substrates.

The plants will work in higher light. As for substrate sand, or something like Eco-complete Fine would be best for loaches. Plants also do better in smaller grained substrates.

Just by observation, it looks like the gravel is a little smaller than what my grandfather has in his cichlid tanks and what's in my 20g. I hope he has some gravel that is like that. The odds are probably pretty good, he's had aquariums for 15 years. Tomorrow morning (~12 hours from now) we're going to go explore what he's got.

Don't get any sharp edged gravel as it's hard on the barbels of loaches and cory cats. Also if he kept African cichlids you don't want that gravel as it's probably crushed coral or something that leaches buffers to keep ph high.

Don't get any sharp edged gravel as it's hard on the barbels of loaches and cory cats. Also if he kept African cichlids you don't want that gravel as it's probably crushed coral or something that leaches buffers to keep ph high.

We looked through his stuff, he didn't have enough substrate to do anything with. He did have lots of rocks from which he collected from his yard. I plan on just doing java moss probably, because it looks really nice. I plan on getting fine gravel for the loaches, a combination of black and white. How many pounds of substrate do I need for 1.5-2 inches?

Watch using rocks from a yard because you don't know over the years what chemicals they have come into contact with. Also drop a few drops of vinegar on each on and if it sizzles or bubbles then that means the rock will leach buffers into the water which will raise kh and ph. They also need to be scrubbed off with hot water only if your going to use them.

A lot depends on the type substrate you use but a general formula is a pound of substrate to every gallon. At least that's how I estimate it. You may need more or less depending.

Watch using rocks from a yard because you don't know over the years what chemicals they have come into contact with. Also drop a few drops of vinegar on each on and if it sizzles or bubbles then that means the rock will leach buffers into the water which will raise kh and ph. They also need to be scrubbed off with hot water only if your going to use them.

A lot depends on the type substrate you use but a general formula is a pound of substrate to every gallon. At least that's how I estimate it. You may need more or less depending.

He's used the rocks for years and been fine. Before he put them away, he bleached them and packaged them into a bucket that has been in his shed. I'll wash them as soon as I need them, but my Mom won't lend me any money to build my stand so the tank will not be in action until around Christmas sadly. I'll do the vinegar test now though. If they do leach buffers then could I just drop the kH and pH?

Hello Karate...

I have several 55 G tanks and low lighting for my Corydoras. I float Anacharis and Pennywort. For the bottom, I have Anubias nana and nangi, Singapore moss, Java fern and Cryptocoryne.

Any of these are easy to grow in subdued lighting. I also like to emerse a land plant called Chinese Evergreen in the tank too. The plant roots keep the nitrates way down and the water stays pretty much nitrogren free. The fish seem to appreciate the pure water conditions.

B

Hello Karate...

I have several 55 G tanks and low lighting for my Corydoras. I float Anacharis and Pennywort. For the bottom, I have Anubias nana and nangi, Singapore moss, Java fern and Cryptocoryne.

Any of these are easy to grow in subdued lighting. I also like to emerse a land plant called Chinese Evergreen in the tank too. The plant roots keep the nitrates way down and the water stays pretty much nitrogren free. The fish seem to appreciate the pure water conditions.

B

I appreciate the help, I'll look into some of these plants. The tank seems to appear sort of empty without plants.

Just vinegar tested and washed all of them. They're all good to go.

He's used the rocks for years and been fine. Before he put them away, he bleached them and packaged them into a bucket that has been in his shed. I'll wash them as soon as I need them, but my Mom won't lend me any money to build my stand so the tank will not be in action until around Christmas sadly. I'll do the vinegar test now though. If they do leach buffers then could I just drop the kH and pH?

If he used them already then that's fine. I thought maybe he just got you some fresh rocks from his yard. So all you'll need to do it the vinegar test and give them a scrub under hot water.

If the rocks test positive and you use them you can't just drop the kh and ph without using RO water. Some fish like African cichlids love hard water with a high ph and kh.

If he used them already then that's fine. I thought maybe he just got you some fresh rocks from his yard. So all you'll need to do it the vinegar test and give them a scrub under hot water.

If the rocks test positive and you use them you can't just drop the kh and ph without using RO water. Some fish like African cichlids love hard water with a high ph and kh.

Sorry, I thought I had mentioned that. I tested them with distilled white vinegar and then scrubbed them down because I didn't want my bedroom smelling like vinegar. They all passed. I've got a new thread on aquarium wood if you would like to contribute :p

Back
Top Bottom