new 55g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajwetton

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im going to be getting a 55g tank soon I am curious ive done live plants since I started and I know the l8hhting and im pretty sure qboit filtration. Im thinking about sand substrate. But I was curious, ive read threads about people having some type of layer underneath substrate for plant nutrients. I cant remember what it was called. Is this nessesary for larger planted tanks or just extra nutrients for plants. I currently use pps pro and excel for my carbon. Thoihht about diy carbon but im not even sure where to start any advice would be great.

Your probably thinking of using Organic Potting Soil with sand as a cap which I don't suggest for a beginner doing their first planted tank. If you go with CO2 you will have to go with pressurized as DIY won't work in larger tanks.

Ok ill keep with the ferts you recommended, was just curious if anything had to change simce id be going to something larger. Thanks river

You want to use dry ferts in a larger tank as they are much cheaper to use than liquid ferts.

Yea ive got the ferts you recomended to me the dry ferts in the 3 squeeze bottles and btw I love them

Back
Top Bottom