New Amano shrimp and Orchid lily

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
The first picture is of my old Amano shrimp. (My killifish loves the camera) the second picture is one of my 12 new Amano shrimp. The third is of a orchid lily. (Does it look healthy? And do I bury its bulb or leave it on top of the gravel?)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110519_175322.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110519_175322.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 127
  • ForumRunner_20110519_175344.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110519_175344.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 123
  • ForumRunner_20110519_175402.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110519_175402.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 138
I think you'd plant it as you would any lily. Some guidlines:

Bury the plant crown up, do not bury the crown of the tuber though (the part where the leaves are issuing from.) So basically make sure like 1cm of the bulb or tuber or whatever is showing.

Make sure you don't break the crown off. Broken crown = dead plant (generally).

oh...it's a barclaya. Regardless these rules will work. Make sure you give it a lot of light too.

That link helped quite a bit thanks. Any other input would be wonderful. I want this plant to be the happiest plant in the world.

Crepe said:
I think you'd plant it as you would any lily. Some guidlines:

Bury the plant crown up, do not bury the crown of the tuber though (the part where the leaves are issuing from.) So basically make sure like 1cm of the bulb or tuber or whatever is showing.

Make sure you don't break the crown off. Broken crown = dead plant (generally).

oh...it's a barclaya. Regardless these rules will work. Make sure you give it a lot of light too.

Is a barclaya the same as an orchid lily?

Its the orchid lily's scientific name. Barclaya longifolia.

O got ya. I am planing on using root tabs and I dose with pps pro will this be good enough?

fishfanatic said:
O got ya. I am planing on using root tabs and I dose with pps pro will this be good enough?

All plants will benefit from dosing PPS pro. As for the root tabs, it is recommended to have nutrient-rich substrate when you have orchid lilies. Using root tabs will really benefit the plant.

Basing on the ferts, it will. I don't know your lighting. Did you read the orchid lily's requirement n the link above^^? If you'll meet that then your plant will be fine.

Coolio! I think my tank is at medium light? (40 gallon; glo fixture with 2 T5HO 39 Watts each 5000 k, and a marineland reef compatable led 10000k)
Do you think it will do okey?

Last edited:
According to the second chart in the link I have high light with just the glo fixture, then I have the 36 1 Watt leds and 6 blue leds.... I think I have high light?

fishfanatic said:
Coolio! I think my tank is at medium light? (40 gallon; glo fixture with 2 T5HO 39 Watts each 5000 k, and a marineland reef compatable led 10000k)
Do you think it will do okey?

I would replace your 5,000Ks with at any color temp between 6500K-10,000K. That's the color temp that plants will really benefit from. I don't know about the LED though. If it's 10,000K it's good for plants but I don't know how much. I don't know how to compute how much lighting you have using the PAR cd distance with LED lights. Hope somebody will chime in..

fishfanatic said:
According to the second chart in the link I have high light with just the glo fixture, then I have the 36 1 Watt leds and 6 blue leds.... I think I have high light?

I'm not sure because you have 5,000K bulbs.

The reason I have the 5000k is because they have lots of red, the leds don't have a lot of red but they have a lot of blue. So I guess I thought it would balance it out?

And just to top off the confusion my fixture only has one reflector not 2 (for each bulb).

Back
Top Bottom