New Anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krogman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bought Anubias on driftwood at petco. Do I need to remove this sponge around the rhizome? Or is that part of the plant? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393878790.146456.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393878797.754456.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393878804.995411.jpg

Thank you.
I thought it felt not plant like but didn't wanna destroy it out of ignorance.

So now what is suggested for tying the loose anubias to the driftwood?

You can use fishing line/thread or even rubberband to tie the rhizome/roots of the anubias to the driftwood. Once the new roots grow out, they tend to attach themself to the wood, then you can remove the tying if you like...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393880918.559411.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393880925.808309.jpg
Much better. Managed to get it to stay jn a little slot in the wood, no tie down material.

Good beginners choice ? its an extremely slow growing plant so don't get worried if you think its not growing. Anubias' are very hardy and you'd have to go some to kill it lol. Word of warning PLANTS ARE ADDICTIVE ?

I feel it already. I was going to do angelfish with some Plecos or catfish. Saturday I should be getting 2 rainbow garra and 2 blue eyed lemon bristlenoses.
Now I'm thinking I want to just stick to those fish and make a pretty aqua scape for them. Need to upgrade lights so the anubias will be all for a while, maybe some java moss as it reads to be hardy as well. But I don't want to overwhelm myself.

I feel it already. I was going to do angelfish with some Plecos or catfish. Saturday I should be getting 2 rainbow garra and 2 blue eyed lemon bristlenoses.
Now I'm thinking I want to just stick to those fish and make a pretty aqua scape for them. Need to upgrade lights so the anubias will be all for a while, maybe some java moss as it reads to be hardy as well. But I don't want to overwhelm myself.

What size tank?? I think angels need maybe 30gallons or so. Oh and plecos have a large bioload. This means they produce a lot of waste. Can have avery bad effect on a small tank. Yea until you upgrade lighting youll need to stick to low light plants. Crypts and java ferns would be a good choice. Root tabs needed for crypts as they get all their nutrients room root uptake. I started off with a few plants. Now its developed into a whole tank load. You can barely see my substrate now lol

I like the carpeted tanks, looks sweet. I have a 55gal. I am using a Marineland 350 pro canister filter to help with the bioload. Also have an undersized aquatech 20-40 hob that came with the tank, can't hurt. I am going to stick to small Plecos also jnstead of the mammoth sized ones.
Hair grass looks good to me. Also the clover looking plant that people cover the substrate with, haven't looked that one up yet just seen pictures.

Oh i think your fine with a 55gallon. Ive got dwarf hairgrass in mine and i love it. I also got the four leaf clover although its not what i would seem. When grown out of water with its roots in water it has four leaves. When grown fully in water it only grows with one leaf. Bit of a let down. Im going to rip mine out and replace with glosso

Just checked out glosso. It is def going in the tank after new lights. Will it grow in sand? Or maybe just on top

I think it would need to go in the sand. Thats where i plan on putting mine. I just got regular black sand on top of some plant substrate, i forget its name. I think glosso is hard to grow though. Remember as you increase lighting and go for higher light level plants, you'll need ferts and a carbon source. Best to have pressurised co2

Oh the long road of investment :) I'll get there eventually. I really enjoy my tank. Don't exactly want more, just a much much bigger tank lol in time.
Gotta get my fish, introduce more driftwood over time, get better and more lighting, then put my plant research to work and plant that bad boy.
I have so many ideas :D *evil laugh*
Just gotta take it in stride.

Yea its amazing how your money disappears in this hobby ? you'll love watching your tank develop and mature. I know i have so far. This is currently where im at....
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393889362.414658.jpg

I got 3 black things in the corner. The biggest is a fluval internal filter. Above that is a koralia powerhead to circulate co2 and nutrients around my tank. Then theres the intake tube to my fluval HOB filter

The internal filter is what I was asking about. Cool. I have two koralia nano 425s ordered and in route to my house :)

Back
Top Bottom