New aquarium advice....planting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissa1977

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
I wanted to know if it is absolutely necessary to put some kind of additive to the gravel if you want to plant a tank??
I have a 20 g all ready to start cycling (filter and heater already on and thank full) with some small gravel (about 2").
I went to my LPS (specialized in tropical freshwater fish) and the girl there told me that should be ok, and that i only need to add some liquid supplement (plant grow from Hagen) and get a CO2 diffuser (Hagen)...

Im planning on planting a lot and I got info on some kind of plant I could put in my slightly brackish water (1.006) and that are easy to care for...
Amaryllidaceae
Jave fern
Apiaceae
And Hydrocharitaceae...

Do you think I should be ok with my setting ?
Should I add anything...

Light is one aquaglow 15W.
Fish tank 20"X10"X22"

MORE LIGHT! If you want your plants to grow you need more light. 15 watts over that tank is just enough to see the fish. Even the hardiest of plants will die in time if it doesn't get enough light. Read the sticky post in this forum and then read my FAQ.

CO2 with your light is not going to make any difference at all BTW.

I second Rex, who helped me along on this forum too many times to mention. You can check out AH Supply for great lights at the best price. Their kits are simple to put together and you can buy an enclosure from them or build your own. The enclosure sits on a tank's glass cover. http://www.ahsupply.com/index.html

Other O.K. lights are the power compacts from either "All Glass" or "Coralife" which are available from Big Als in Canada. But the AH Supply are absolutely the best and cheaper too and Kim at AH Supply will answer any questions if you call him. HTH Bob

I ve just set up a new lid for my tank...
What do you think of 14W X 2 florescent = 28 W for plants that doesnt need lots of light... ?? Actually i will have one flora-glo and one aqua-glo florescent...

I did a lot of research on plants that have low requirement of light, and suite slightly brackish water i know wich one to get but not sure about the lighting power of my tank still...

Java Moss
Jave fern
Vallisneria spiralis
Green hygro
anubias nana

Back
Top Bottom