New Aquarium - nothing going right!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

Been reading this forum over the last few months while I busily planned my first foray into fishkeeping (well I did have a goldfish years ago), but this is the first "proper" attempt.

Finally purchased a Fluval Edge 10 days ago, planted with 3 live plants, and doing a Fishless cycle with Jeyes Kleen Off. I let the tank run for 4 days before beginning cycling just to see everything was working OK and also whilst awaiting delivery of API Master Kit (it was cheaper online than at the LFS). Sorry I am rambling already, I know :whistle: but glad I did - first filter was noisy as ****, but LFS luckily replaced and everything was going fine. Began cycling 7 days ago - added 10 drops to get reading of 4ppm.

Used the add and wait method - 2 1/2 days later ammonia reading back at 0 - no nitrites. Added 12 drops, following day getting a reading of 2ppm - added another 12 drops. Reading following day darker than 4 but not 8. Added no ammonia (which was yesterday). Lights (LED) on for approx 9 hours per day, noticed a few whisps of brown algae on one plant but nothing major, oh and a few snails which have piggy-backed with the plants no doubt.

Anyways I am getting to the point - last night just before going to bed I noticed a fine white carpet of what looks like mould on my black and orange substrate. Did a 50% water change and used gravel cleaner to remove as much white stuff as possible - don't know if it removed it or just upturned it during siphoning. Any ideas what this is and how to sort. Have read all sorts on web about fungus and mold growing, but nothing living or dead in tank apart from plants oh and those tiny little snails (counted 3). Any help appreciated guys and gals.

Water smells aquariumy but not unpleasant. Before water change PH was 7.8, ammonia between 4 and 8, nitites and nitrates both zero.

Getting in a flap already and only had the tank 10 days - even managed a small scratch (got a bit of gravel stuck to algae magnet) whilst I was smoothing out substrate after water change - its quite low down and small so not noticeable unless you go looking for it.

Thanks

Update

A quick update...

Went home at lunchtime (only live 5 mins from work) - Ammonia has dropped to 2ppm and nitrite still zero. No sign of white fuzz (but as I said don't know if I managed to remove it with last nights water change/gravel clean or whether its just buried under the substrate.

Have left the lights off (usually turn them on at lunchtime), normally run 1pm-10pm, to see if that will cut down chance of regrowth.

Thanks guys and gals :cool:

Post up your stock list of plants. I'm assuming you filled that tank with plants for your ammonia to drop like it has been. Please any plant expert correct me if i'm wrong. Remember that the plants will consume the ammonia just like the BB would.

I can't answer to the white residue.

also to get rid of the snails so they don't eat you plants try putting a piece of lettuce on the bottom of the tank just before you shut the lights off. when you turn them back on the lettuce should be covered in them & you can just remove them that way. I had one of my larger snails(1" wide) literally hanging on a piece of lettuce yesterday while floating around the tank. It's like catnip for snails.

and welcome to AA, you'll get a lot of help here

I`m going to move this to the FW planted forum. More people will see it there. BTW welcome aboard.

Thanks for that, will take a note of my plants and post them here tomorrow, with an update on the white stuff (or hopefully lack of it)

The white stuff is probably a fungus or mold of sorts. It usually has a snot-like texture to it. It's relatively benign, only really an eyesore. It can be manually removed and will eventually cure itself on its own.

Plants will preferentially absorb ammonia/nitrite to nitrate. If you haven't been fertilizing your plants (and have no fish), the you wouldn't have appreciable nitrate levels in your tank, forcing your plants to go after the ammonia (which they prefer anyways).

Interestingly enough, some planted tank keepers don't actively cycle their plant, instead letting the plants absorb the initial ammonia and letting the BB form slower. A tank has to be pretty heavily planted with fast growers for that to work....

On that note, bet'cha got a bunch of stems in their.

As promised here is my plant stocklisting

1*Anubias Barteri - looks fine, just a few nibbles out of some of the smaller leaves

1*Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis - seems to be developing a bit of brown fuzz, and has a few yellowing leaves, don't know if its OK or not

1*Myriophyllum Mattagrossense - absolutely thriving,this thing has doubled in size over the last week. Picture with lights on is from last week, the other is from today - big difference, can see a little trimming happening soon!

All were bought potted and have roots, had to chop some of them back before planting.

Just back from lunch (and aquarium testing)

Ammonia 1ppm (didn't add anymore)
Nitrite - still zero!
Temp 25
PH 7.6 PH High 7.4 - using both tests in API Masterkit (Normal Tap Water tests as 7.0 and 7.4) but I suppose ammonia will raise PH?

Have again left lights off, should I turn these back on?

Had a good look round and can see a tiny layer of white mould/fungus/algae starting to form again at corner of rock, its also seems to be on the rock too. You've really got to be at eye level with the substrate to see it, and it certainly isn't anything like what it was the other night. Managed to catch 2 of my 3 small snails too - saw them on the substrate so hooked them out with the fishnet. 1 to go but it is buried in the Lilaeopsis.

So what do I want to know?

Should I be fertilising the plants? LFS told me I wouldn't need any, but then again they did tell me just to wait a week and then add fish.

What to do about this white fuzz - would it be worth buying a nerite or assasin snail and putting it in tank to see if it would eat it?

Am i leaving lights on too long (normally 9 hours)

Probably should start another thread for this one but when am I likely to see any nitrites?

Thanks for any help and suggestions

Attachments

• Front View Lights Off New.jpg
    Front View Lights Off New.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Front View Lights On.jpg
    Front View Lights On.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 104
Should just add as a footnote that the Anubias hasn't shrunk - when I did the WC the other night it floated free from the rocks, so wedged it in further down. Also the reason the rock isn't touching the Lilaeopsis on the right hand side. White fuzz growing at front left corner of rock on the left side.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom