new co2 system, bubble question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got the semi-auto co2 system from foster & smith, and bought a 10# co2 tank. System comes with regulator w/solenoid, bubble counter, timer, and a diffuser.

I'm currently sorting through which plants I want to order. Should I start dosing before I put plants in, or wait until I have plants in, and how many bubbles per second would be a good starting point. I don't have a ph controller (yet), but have a solenoid plugged into a 12 hour timer. My concern putting in too much too quicking causing a ph crash. tank is 46 gallons.

As long has you have a decent KH rating (3-5 degrees) you won't crash your PH. Put it at about a bubble per second, and test when its been on a few hours. Adjust as necessary.

I wouldn't dose until you get plants in there. Those excess nutrients, not being used up by the plants are asking for an algae problem.

ah yeah, algae. Thanks for reminding me. And it's pretty standard to have the diffuser placed beneath the filter intake right? For some reason i was thinking it should be about 6 bubbles per 10 seconds, but not sure where I read that and for what reason.

Now what is funny is it makes a great IQ/SAT question.

If you have a bubble counter and set it to release 1 bubble every second, calculate the number of bubbles you would get in a minute. Now if you release 6 bubbles every 10 seconds, how many bubbles do you get in 1 minute?

a. 60
b. 100
c. 360
d. none of the above

:p

Ding Ding Ding. =) I dub thee Sir BubbleMeister!

Back
Top Bottom