New drift wood!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so here's a piece of drift wood I bought! Am I suppose to boil it?? And for how long??

Attachments

• image-127675831.jpg
    image-127675831.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 61
Ok so here's a piece of drift wood I bought! Am I suppose to boil it?? And for how long??

I just bought two pieces and didn't boil them at all. My water is clear, but has a very light yellowish tint to it. There was a thread about this very subject that I had started just a couple of days ago. Not sure how to do a search on this, but there were a lot of good suggestions and comments.

boil it until it is not leaking tannins anymore. theres similar diffrent ways you can do it.
such as putting it into a bucket with boiling water, let it sit until it cools then replace cooled water with hot water. repeat until clear.

if you are just boiling. replace water when a lot of tanins have leaked out of dw. then boil again.

most of the times if your dw is too big, you'd have to sit the dw in a bucket, unless you have a big enough pot to boil it in.

boil it until it is not leaking tannins anymore. theres similar diffrent ways you can do it.
such as putting it into a bucket with boiling water, let it sit until it cools then replace cooled water with hot water. repeat until clear.

if you are just boiling. replace water when a lot of tanins have leaked out of dw. then boil again.

most of the times if your dw is too big, you'd have to sit the dw in a bucket, unless you have a big enough pot to boil it in.

I just boil till the water is red then put in new water, and continue till it no longer floats

And if its too big for a pot, go buy a cooler and poor in boiling water. And leave it.

I have consistently gotten my wood water logged with in 24 hours using this method.

Pretty much this ^^^^^

Ooh ok, cool thanks!!

I agree with Athaocity, just a tip once the water is clear, anchor the dw to a rock or something (i.e with a cable tie) to prevent it from moving when you do your water changes.

I agree with Athaocity, just a tip once the water is clear, anchor the dw to a rock or something (i.e with a cable tie) to prevent it from moving when you do your water changes.

Ah ok! Will do!

Back
Top Bottom