New Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lemurstampeed33

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I have a 29 gallon planted tank and it feels slightly empty. As of now I have one marble vail angelfish 8 harluquin rasbora 2 Florida bristle nose plecos and 5 sterbai corycatfish I was wondering what other fish I could get. Maybe one or two rainbows or one or two more angels. I would like some larger fish. Thanks for the help!

Maybe some gouramis, like a pearl or a blue gourami. Pearl gouramis get to be around 4 inches and they would be a great center piece for an aquarium. Please upload a picture of your tank if you can!

Honestly? Unfortunatly none as your 29 is stocked out. Those bristles taking half of your bioload. They maybe small now and thats moat peoples downfall but once your fish grow there wont be much room!

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388027945.718922.jpg maybe I could add a few more plants. If I was to add anything what would you recommend?

Kool looking tank, anubias grow well under low light and so will java moss. Im guessing youre using the supplied light?

Yeah I plan to upgrade the bulbs in the upcoming week, any bulb recomdations?

Most of the time it isnt as simple as just adding a new bulb. What light do you have? The plants i mention do well under low light and more regular water changes add extra minerals used by the plants for growth. You could stick some root tabs into the substrate to help also

What would you recommend for root tabs? Do you think I could have one more angelfish,because I had two then one died alittle while ago?

Depends if the angel you add and your resident angel get along, as they grow they could fight.

Api do root tablets as do many other manufacturers.

Why not rehome your plecos at your lfs you might be able to swap them for root tabs! And then get your angel if you must.

Those BN plecos are pooping machines, I know 90% of the feces I vacuum up in my 36 gal are from the single one I have so I can attest to their high bioload. Nice tank by the way!

If I were you I'd be cautious about adding a second angel because that has turned out badly in my experience, but it really depends on the individual temperament of your fish.

Adding another angelfish can sometimes work. You'd have to find an angel roughly the same size as the one in the tank. Then remove the old angel, rearrange the tank, add the new angel, then finally add the old angel back in. By doing this it can often trick the old angel into thinking it's in a new tank where it has no territory. Just be aware it also might not work.

I decided to add another angel, al first the old one went after the first one like CRAZY. Three hours after the new one was put in the tank the stopped fighting and haven't went after each other once! They are both swimming around, eating, and full of color. The guy at the pet store said If I keep up with my upkeep, water changes and gravel vacuums, I should be jest fine! Thanks for the compliments guys!

Back
Top Bottom