New, help on 2 weeks old planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carrijo10

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I have a 2 years old aquarium which I decided to put plants in it, problem is that plants don't look to be doing very well...

Aquarium: Fluval spec v (5 gallon)
Water temp: 79F
PH: 6.6
AMMONIA: 0 PPM
NITRITE: 0 PPM
NITRATE: 5.0 PPM TO 10 PPM

LIGHT: Finnex Planted+ CRV, using 24/7 mode
CO2: YES, Co2 checker (lime green just as should be)
Fertilizer: Nilocg Fertilizer (THRIVE C)
Dosage: EL dosing once week
Water change: 20% 3 times a week

2 Ghost shrimp and one beautiful betta fish, nothing else!

Can your guys please help me out... Looks like some of the plants are turning brown. I really want my plants looking beautiful.

Thanks in Advance :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 27
Commercially grown plants are grown immersed and not submerged. So the plants have grown in different conditions to what you are now putting them in.

2 weeks isnt really enough time for them aclimate to being under water. Its possible you lose all your existing leafs to melt, but new growth will be tolerant to the new submerged conditions. Are you seeing any new growth?

First I want to thank you for your help!

I bought these plants from a seller that keep them submerged, so I know for sure that this is not the problem.

Yes I do see new growth but even new growth are turning brown as well...

Please check first picture, look how the leaves are, they have some green dots to it and new leaves have green dots too... thats what worries me.

Last edited:
They might keep them submerged, but they probably wasnt grown that way. My local fish store does the same. They take them out from the packaging and put them into a tank to sell.

So you believe has nothing to do with nutrients deficiency, something like phosphate deficiency...

How long should I wait to take action?

Thanks again for your help.

You are dosing fertiliser, have CO2, a planted light fitting (the specs on that light are really good for plants), nothing obviously wrong there.

Possibly substrate? You havent mentioned what substrate you are using. If they are rooted plants and you are using basic sand or gravel they would benefit from root tabs. The photo looks like a planted substrate though.

How long is your light on for? I assume the 24/7 setting is programmable like my Aquasky. I have my lights on full with the white maxed for 8 hours a day.

You could consider Seachem Florish Excel, but i think that would be redundant as you are using CO2.

Sorry. Im a bit of a loss to advise further as on the face of it you are doing the right things. I cant really advise you on the CO2 its not my thing.

Yes, I'm using Fluval Plant Statum Aquarium Substrate.

Regarding the lights it is on max for 6 hours (from 12pm to 6pm) than it dims automatically to nigh mode until 9, than it turns low blue from 9 to 12am, from 12am to 6am its completely off.

99% of my plants are stem plants.

The trauma of being uprooted can ruin the current crop, but as noted above the plants should regrow.
If the leaves start to rot, trim them off and wait for the good ones to come in.

What I'm really worried is the leaves of the plant on the first picture, as we can see they have this green dots on them which I have no clue why and they're turning brown...

Guys please help me out, I believe I have phosphate or potassium issues here, at least its what my Rotala is telling me by looking at her picture...

Please advise!!!!

Attachments

• Rotala.jpg
    Rotala.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 26
The only thing i can say is you have a high tech set up. Thats planted substrate, high level lighting, injected CO2. Your fertiliser is a low tech product. Thats probably causing an inbalance. Your plants are low demand and dont really need all the bells and whistles.

Possibly your 3x weekly water changes but weekly dosing is an issue. You will removing nutrients with 2 out of 3 water changes.

Its quite brave to go high tech with no experience of planted tanks. Personally i would have gone a low tech route as a first go at planted tanks. Sorry but i dont have experience of high tech set ups, so im going to have to duck out of this one.

Hi, don't know if this will help but let's give it a try. I have a 10 gallon tank with only live plants for my Betta. I bought the plants at a pet store and learned the hard way to read the labels: some actually say "not for submersing in aquariums". In the aquarium dept!

Some have done well, some do well for awhile and then turn brown, and some never make it. Trim off brown stuff, pull the whole thing if it's brown to the bottom, and replace until you get plants that are happy. Next! My fish being happy and healthy is most important, so I'm afraid of too many additives for plants. I'd rather spend more until the right plant has found its home. That didn't take long: I've only replaced two.

As an aside, I want to mention that some plants pull loose from substrate and float around growing roots in water only. They seem to thrive this way so I leave them. Plankton the Betta has an ongoing relationship with his live plants: I've seen him actually hook a fin onto one and drag it to the spot where he wants to lay against it and nap. Keep trying, your fish will love them!

Hello, stay strong, and don't despair to the breaking point. A given is that a high tech planted tank will test your patience. Keep tweaking things then wait and watch. I've dealt with the hair algae and bba. They will pop up from time to time. H2O2 is a good treatment method.
Similarly, I have:
-24/7 finnex set for 8hr on max.
-sand substrate with root tabs
CO2 injection to lime green. On 1hr prior to light on and off.
-dose thrive 2x per week.
-pwc 50% 1x per week

This^^^routine seems to be balanced for me right now.

As mentioned by Aiken drum, it could be a simple nutrient deficiency. Your tank balance is slightly off. Perhaps you need 1 less 20%pwc and to dose thrive after biweekly 20% pwc's.

Back
Top Bottom