New light fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbk.o4

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55g tank, usual 48" long, with a jebo odyssea on it right now. It is the 3 switch...the one that comes with a bank of normal light, the actinic bank, and a few moonligts. It is your basic ebay special for like 100$ or something. Well to put it simply i absolutely hate this fixutre.... :x When you run the normal light bank that has the fan controls, the thing is soooo loud u dont want to be in the same house with it, and that is pretty loud considering on my tank the light fixture is enclosed inside of a canopy that is on top of my case. Also it doesnt even fit the top of my tank.. When i try to use the legs that came with it, it isnt wide enough to rest of the sides of my tank.. But i guess i got what i paid for.

So now i am lookin for another fixture to use on my tank. I am going to be redoing alot of the things in my tank and i want to do them right this time around. I love the wattage of the fixture, I definately dont want to go under the 260w that the jebo has, i also like built in moonlighting, i know it doesnt serve any purpose at all but i like the effect at night. The tank sits in my living room and it gives off just enough light that i can see without flicking on a big light and disrupting the tank. Really i dont care what color the new fixture is or anything like that.

Any suggestions?

ty in advance. :)

I have Jebo lights (without fans or moonlights) that work well, but I have added a couple of tubes of LED moonlights also. It does make the tank look spectacular in the dark.

im not running the actinic bulbs, they came with it, i would be running all the banks with 65w if i had co2 which i will be gettin soon.

That light looks like it would work perfectly, cuz i would just take out the actinic and put in 65w daylights. That pic looks like it is only a 24" but i think they just dont have a picture of the 48". Has anyone else used that light the he suggested, it seems good to me, cuz it is basically the same light i have and but a much better brand. Does anyone have experience with that fixture?

I was also looking at this one, http://tinyurl.com/ywd2cc, it is a Current USA Orbit.

Both Coralife and Current are good brands for lights. I've got a refurbished Current Satellite fixture on one of my tanks and love it other than the fan being a bit loud. It's about the same volume as the fan on my humidifier, nothing aweful but it is noticable. The Current Orbit, may or may not have a quieter fan. Coralife fixtures are supposed to have the quietest fans.

I have the same fixture. I am just gutting the fixture and putting it into a DIY hood with quiet computer fans. It is currently a work in process. This will be much cheaper than buying a new setup. I can send you my sketches if your interested. Basically it has a two hinge top, one hinge to allow feeding and dosing of fert and then a second hinge that allows the whole top to be opened so i can clean and trim plants. I havent decided if i am going to just paint the wood black or if i am going to cover it in ABS plastic.

I've got a 20" Orbit on my 10g tank. The fans are wired with the Actinic bulbs, so I usually just leave those off. They aren't extremely loud, but I don't have a canopy so they're annoying enough to keep me from using the actinics.

The Orbit seems like it's pretty solid, but it is very large (excellent for keeping cats from going fishing). It has legs that it has to be mounted on, so you may have trouble getting a canopy over it. The satellite has a lower profile.

I would just disconnect the fans and continue to use the one you've got. I'm sure me or someone else can walk you through it if you post up a pic or two.

if you have glass tops, dont disconnect the fan, the heat will crack them....it has happened before with this fixture.

Back
Top Bottom