New light / plants questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pistolero

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm setting up a 55 and it's still cycling. I only had the regular generic T12 bulbs that come with the hood. Yesterday was at Petsmart and picked this light up:
LED Aquarium Light
and plan to get another one next payday. It's suppose to be 310 lumens @ 6000k. It sits right on the glass top.
Also found a lfs that had java moss. I picked up some java moss, duckweed and crystalwort. They had the crystalwort listed as "any" light, but when I got home and looked it up on the internet everything I found says it needs high light and preferably co2, so that was probably a waste. I like the way it looks, though.
So with 2 of the Marineland lights above what kind of plants could I grow? I'm thinking I could also put in one retro 54 watt t5ho strip @ 10K with a reflector if I had to. Take out the t12s and there would be plenty of room to fix that to the canopy. With the strip light would that put me around or over 2 "watts per gallon"?

I'm fairly new to planted aquariums, but I know for sure those 2 LED strips will probably barely let you grow even low light plants. Definitely add the t5 strip, and that will put you into low/medium light

Plants and Lighting

Hello pistol...

Two watts of light per gallon of tank size is good for growing most aquatic plants. I have much less light in my 55 Gs and have at least a dozen different plants I can grow. That's more than enough to cover the bottom and top of a 55.

I prefer growing plants in pots with a combo of pea gravel substrate and a good organic potting mixture. The mixture nourishes the plants from the start and helps them through the time it takes the plant to get used to your specific tank conditions. I find if I use the potting mixture, the plants don't die back at all and no dead plant material in the tank means there's none to clean out of the filters.

I have several, large planted tanks, so CO2 is really out of my price range. With the lighting you have and if you dose a good fert regularly, you should be fine without it.

Have fun with your new tank!

B

pistolero said:
How about two of these babies?
85-Watt Replacement Bulb-9385B at The Home Depot

That would be right at 3 watts per gallon.

The Kelvin looks perfect. As far as WPG it partly also depends on how tall the tank is. Our club uses a PAR meter to get a truer idea of how much light tanks are really getting. If you go high light , you'll need to add CO2 and Ferts or you'll just grow an Algae farm. 3 watts should be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom