New Lights-Green Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I have had an established tank for quite sometime now, but I'm far from knowledgeable about lights.

I have a 36 gal lightly planted (now) tank and recently after years and years, my lights gave up the ghost. I went on Amazon and bought some to fit my tank, and now I have a problem with green algae. The lights I bought are full spectrum LEDs and are 21 watts. That's the extent of what I know about them.

I dose with Excel and Trace, although I just started with the Trace and only dose twice a week with that, alternating between it and the Excel, and I just went online and bought a UV light to help with the algae.

Does anyone have any advice for me regarding my situation?

Thanks for any help,
D

Hello,

I have had an established tank for quite sometime now, but I'm far from knowledgeable about lights.

I have a 36 gal lightly planted (now) tank and recently after years and years, my lights gave up the ghost. I went on Amazon and bought some to fit my tank, and now I have a problem with green algae. The lights I bought are full spectrum LEDs and are 21 watts. That's the extent of what I know about them.

I dose with Excel and Trace, although I just started with the Trace and only dose twice a week with that, alternating between it and the Excel, and I just went online and bought a UV light to help with the algae.

Does anyone have any advice for me regarding my situation?

Thanks for any help,

D

In my experience and anecdotal information on other forums, green water is generally a result of high light intensity + ammonia.

In your case you probably bought a much stronger light which triggered the green water.

UV is your best solution for a quick fix.

Same thought pretty much. Every time I replace the bulbs I get a burst of algae.

Also I’ve found that initial ferts dosing can trigger algae which then seems to go away after a few weeks to a month. Not sure if helpful. I don’t know how I manage this as the plants don’t really look much bigger.

I have a UV light coming today. I cleaned the tank and scrubbed rocks the other day as well, and I think I'll cut back on food and the amount of time my lights are on.

This is probably the fewest number of plants I've ever had, but the fish stores don't carry much of a selection, and it's really iffy to buy them online and have them shipped to CO this time of year. I think between your suggestions, and maybe getting a few more plants, I should be able to get it cleared up.

The water looks good this morning.

Thanks again for your help.
D

In my experience and anecdotal information on other forums, green water is generally a result of high light intensity + ammonia.

In your case you probably bought a much stronger light which triggered the green water.

UV is your best solution for a quick fix.
I've never had a UV light before. Do you leave it on all of the time, or just it run for a certain amount of time and stop using, or perhaps just a certain amount of hours per day?

I've never had a UV light before. Do you leave it on all of the time, or just it run for a certain amount of time and stop using, or perhaps just a certain amount of hours per day?
Usually just a few hours a day to prolong the life of the bulb. It won't clear up surface algae tho, just stuff in the water column

Yes, I figured as much. I have cleaned the glass and rocks pretty well, but I have Manzanita branches and they're impossible to clean...Thanks Charlie.

You'll need an in-line uv light. Sun sun sells canister filters with them baked in. Link the light, I've found the heavy blues really ramp up green algae growth.

So, I'm still having algae bloom.

I put some privacy film over the lights, but I'm thinking of adding strips of electrical tape across them every few inches. I've been shutting off the UV so I now have that running 24/7 trying to clear up the water.

Any comments are appreciated.

Same thought pretty much. Every time I replace the bulbs I get a burst of algae.

Also I’ve found that initial ferts dosing can trigger algae which then seems to go away after a few weeks to a month. Not sure if helpful. I don’t know how I manage this as the plants don’t really look much bigger.

Just curious Delapool-what do you do about the algae burst after the light bulb replacement?

Luckily not that bad and all good after a few weeks. I was replacing the bulbs every nine months though. And just replacing two at a time.

I've been running a UV light 24/7, coming up on the third day. I honestly don't see any difference as of yet. I'll do a partial water change tomorrow. I've cut back on feeding and the lighting time, and as I think I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm thinking of putting strips of dark tape every few inches to try and cut down on the amount of light. Do you think that the strips are necessary or do you think it will just clear up on it's own?

Thanks for your help.

As you've surely noticed, LEDs have a very different character of light than what came before and in my studies and experience it is impossible to compare to the watts-per-gallon "standard" that existed before.

You say a 36-gallon tank (about 30" x 15") surface with two (you added the plural) 21-watt 24" full-spectrum LEDs in a tank that is "lightly planted" at present. Right?" If so I suspect too much light, too few plants and and bright green surface algae that makes the water itself appear green.

As you've surely noticed, LEDs have a very different character of light than what came before and in my studies and experience it is impossible to compare to the watts-per-gallon "standard" that existed before.

I'm not sure why I put "two". It's just a standard aquarium light off of Amazon, but you're absolutely right, totally different from the old ones that I had.

You say a 36-gallon tank (about 30" x 15") surface with two (you added the plural) 21-watt 24" full-spectrum LEDs in a tank that is "lightly planted" at present. Right?" If so I suspect too much light, too few plants and and bright green surface algae that makes the water itself appear green.

Thanks for your response. I have added more plants and a couple of them are growing like crazy. I've also cut feeding down by 1/2 and lights down by 1/2. In addition to the privacy film on the lights, I have also added some black tape strips.

I think that I perhaps caused it by overcleaning my media in my filter. I have well water, but I still cleaned everything under tap water and did it several times thinking that the brown goop (which was probably my good bacteria and some mulm) was from me stirring up the substrate by planting.

I did a WC last night, and the UV has been running 24/7. I see no noticeable improvement.

I've been running a UV light 24/7, coming up on the third day. I honestly don't see any difference as of yet. I'll do a partial water change tomorrow. I've cut back on feeding and the lighting time, and as I think I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm thinking of putting strips of dark tape every few inches to try and cut down on the amount of light. Do you think that the strips are necessary or do you think it will just clear up on it's own?

Thanks for your help.

I think the tank should get better on its own and the UV light should make a difference.

Bit tricky if it will solve itself I guess. I tend to lower light intensity or put tape over lights until less algae on plants / only cleaning glass every few weeks. I don’t chase plant growth anymore so slower growth I’m ok with.

I think the tank should get better on its own and the UV light should make a difference.

Bit tricky if it will solve itself I guess. I tend to lower light intensity or put tape over lights until less algae on plants / only cleaning glass every few weeks. I don’t chase plant growth anymore so slower growth I’m ok with.

I had already put some privacy film over the lights ( I'm sorry if I repeat myself in responses, I forget what the heck I've said or not), and I added some strips of black tape yesterday.

I'm starting to think that the UV light I have isn't working. I took it out yesterday and tried to see if the little indicator light was on and couldn't see a thing.

I am with you about the plant growth, I would rather have nice clear water.

Thank goodness this is only the second algae bloom I've had in my tank. It sucks.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom