New Plant Dip for Snail removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The CodFather

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have a 'recipe' for a dip to put my new plants in to remove/kill off the baby snails on them before I introduce them to the tanks? I have heard about bleach and salt ones and peroxide ones but don't know amts or strengths of the parts.

Thank you for your help!

If the plants aren't really delicate like Rotala Mini Butterfly then lay paper towels in a sink. Lay plants down and douse them down with straight Hydrogen Peroxide. Cover the plants then with the peroxide wet towels and let them sit for 20 minutes. Then plant directly into the tank without rinsing.

This method has always worked well for me.

If the plants aren't really delicate like Rotala Mini Butterfly then lay paper towels in a sink. Lay plants down and douse them down with straight Hydrogen Peroxide. Cover the plants then with the peroxide wet towels and let them sit for 20 minutes. Then plant directly into the tank without rinsing.

This method has always worked well for me.

I'm going to put this in my memory bank for next time. Thanks Rivercats!

I add 3/4 tank water to an appropriate sized container, then add about 1/4 peroxide and let plants soak for 20 minutes. Again plant without rinsing.

Why aren't you suppose to rinse? Is it the obvious that it will wash everything off? And wont the peroxide foul up the water?

Why aren't you suppose to rinse? Is it the obvious that it will wash everything off? And wont the peroxide foul up the water?

Peroxide is used in the tank for spot treating algae and is safe if used in proper amounts. We use it on the waterfall in our pond for algae. There is no reason to wash it off as it breaks down very quickly in the water anyway.

Back
Top Bottom