New Plant Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I just got some new plants from petco the other day. I got an Anubias, Rotala Indica, Cardamine Lyrata and I got another one but my daughter cut up the little tag thing that came with it so I forget which one it was but Im thinking maybe a sword? But Im not 100% sure Ill have to look again but anyways I was wondering how to take care of them and what lighting I need and what not. The guy at petco said they were using some liquid stuff in the tank it was tetra flora pride and he told me that there is better stuff out there but thats just what they use. He was really helpful other than the fact he sold me a plant that apparently isnt aquatic(Purple waffle I think??) And then when my boyfriend went up there to talk to them about returning it a lady working tried saying most plants arent aquatic that people just put them in there and they live and grow healthy but I still wanted to return it because I didnt want this plant to be dying in a short amount of time. But back on subject what type of lighting should I get for these plants and also what type of substrate would be good? I have sand right now I was wondering if I should do anything or change anything! Thank you so much!!

The anubias is a low light plant. The rotala is a medium light plant. The Cardamine is a medium-high light plant. The sword is likely a medium-ish light plant.
I think.

The liquid stuffs are fertilizers. Seachem Flourish Comprehensive is a good one. Maybe even some Seachem Excel for a carbon supplement if only to keep algae down. You can also use dry ferts.

Your sand will be perfect but you may want to get some root tabs (another fertilizer).

Of course, wait for much smarter and well informed folks than I to reply. I just thought I'd shoot you something real quick as its Sunday, which is a slow day around here.

Ok thank you! Is there a light that would work well with all these plants or how should I go about that?

At the moment I just have one of those lights thats like for say reptiles Im not sure of the bulb in it but Im trying to get a new hood and bulbs but I dont wanna buy any lights until I know what I should get or an idea and the tank is 20 gallon long

Im gunna get some pictures once I find my camera battery because there are two plants and I cant tell which is which and its drivin me crazy! haha so Im hopin someone can help id them for me

Yah that light is no good other than for very low-light required plants. Don't be surprised if the Rotala Indica, Cardamine don't make it until you find a correct fixture.
If your other plant is a type of sword, they are fairly easy to maintain like the anubias

Here's a nice little chart (made by someone else) that gives good examples of lighting options.

Attachments

• image-4238956514.jpg
    image-4238956514.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 222
Thank you guys very much! Hopefully they are some super man plants and dont die on me :)

brunettebaby4571 said:
He was really helpful other than the fact he sold me a plant that apparently isnt aquatic(Purple waffle I think??) And then when my boyfriend went up there to talk to them about returning it a lady working tried saying most plants arent aquatic that people just put them in there and they live and grow healthy but I still wanted to return it because I didnt want this plant to be dying in a short amount of time.
Most of these people are only doing what they are told to do and that is "make a sale". Most of the stuff you find a Petco is non-aquatic, especially the stuff in the tubes. Just do your research first and you will be fine. Here's a good site to get you started... http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php
Just search for the plant you are looking at and it should tell you all you need to know.

brunettebaby4571 said:
What exactly is a rhizome?

See that part of your anubias that all the leaves are growing from? That's it. "Roots" will grow off of it also. You do not want to bury that in your substrate. On other types of plants it will look different but concept is the same.

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

These are all the plants I have. Im not really sure which is which I have the tags but Im not sure which ones they belong to. So if someone could help me ID them that would be great! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom