new planted 30g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asberry2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm going to try and start a new planted freshwater 30g tank. I would like to use a few plants that require the least amount of light possible. I also am not sure what the best option for my substrate would be. I am looking for as many ideas as possible about sand and plants I could use.

Your 30 G

Hello asberry...

I have a couple of 30 Gs that have the standard T8, 17 watt, 6500 K bulb in them. That's low light and I have Anubias, Java fern, Cryptocoryne and Amazon sword. I also float Water wisteria and Pennywort.

These plants will grow very well in low light, but need a couple of other things. You either need to dose a good fertilizer in liquid, dry or granule form or you need to have a lot of fish in the tank.

The other thing you need to do is to change half the water in the tank every week. You do this to maintain the mineral content in the water.

Substrate is easy, I just use the standard pea sized gravel you get at the local pet store.

You don't have to have anything special.

B

+1^ with those plants. Other plants would be rotala indica or rotundifolia. Vals(jungle/corkscrew) would also work nicely in your setup. The only thing I'd disagree on is substrate choice @ BBradbury

Pea gravel is quite large, eco-complete is the same price and has nutrients for plants and has a smaller grain size which makes it easier for plants to root initially and grow/spread(especially so they don't float away when bothered by fish). Also, eco-complete black makes plants and fish stand out very nicely.

I would reccomend pool filter sand.for your substrate. its $5 for a 50lb bag at home depot.

I think I did decide to go with the Eco complete. I'm also pretty sure I'm going to get some Christmas moss or flame moss first to stick on my driftwood. I was wondering what the best way to attach the moss to the driftwood is? And also how to choose a piece of wood and where to get it? And...is it a good idea to order the moss online?

Back
Top Bottom