New Planted Discus Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glstine

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in the planning stages for setting up a 110 gal planted discus tank. Livestock will be discus, a school of 25 or so cardinal tetras and scavengers (cory's for sure and something for algae). Might also consider some rainbow's. Here's what I'm considering for a setup, would like other planted tank peoples input since I have only had moderate success (for numerous reasons) keeping plants in my 30 gal.

110 long glass
4x96w PC 6700k
two pro heat II titanium heaters (250 w each, has anybody used these they look like great heaters)
Tidepool II wet/dry filter w/Mag Drive 700 pump.
Schultz aquatic soil substrate (about 2 inches)
DIY canopy
High Pressure CO2

Any input would be great. I am just in planning right now, haven't anything yet.

Schultz aquatic soil substrate (about 2 inches)
I'd go 3 inches at least for plants, some need a good bit for rooting.

Tidepool II wet/dry filter w/Mag Drive 700 pump.

I've never kept Discus, but I do know they need immaculate water conditions, so this filter sounds really good.

I have one concern regarding a wet/dry and pressurized CO2. We are all told not to have surface agitation to avoid co2 loss into the air. My question is: Does a wet/dry filter drive off CO2? considering all the bubbling, trickling, sloshing action of a wet/dry, what effect does that have on co2? I don't know, but I think it would be pretty important for you to find out before going this route.

Great to see you making serious plans and conducting research before buying anything!! Always the best way to go.

I too had concerns about using my DIY'd wet-dry with a "pop bottle" co2 system, since the "pop bottle" system produces so little usuable co2.

I wonder if having high pressure combined with a controller of some sort would be able to better contend with any loss incured by a filter that generates a lot of turbulance (like a wet/dry is designed to do). Would it just use up your supply faster than if co2 loss was a minimal levels?

Would covering the wet/dry, to stop air from freely circulating "over" it would eventually build-up a co2 blanket inside the filter, reducing the loss? I wonder how that would effect the aerobic bacteria, would they get enough oxygen just from the water?

-----

Do you really need 500 watts of heat? ... I like overkill heating because I live in the "cold north", but in Texas? I guess heaters are one of the least expensive items for an aquarium, and those titanium ones really look nice.

I concur that you should have about 3 inches of substrate ... in a tank that size, you'll hardly notice it! ... 3 inch substrate in a 10 gallon ... that's something you notice :)

According to the Schultz website, Profile also comes in 25 lb bags ... I wonder, assuming the larger bags could be found (or ordered through a hardware store), if the price per pound would be significantly lower?

If the CO2 were injected at the return from the filter would that minimize loss through the filter?
Do you really need 500 watts of heat? ... I like overkill heating because I live in the "cold north", but in Texas? I guess heaters are one of the least expensive items for an aquarium, and those titanium ones really look nice.
I currently have some discus in a 30 gallon and I like to keep the temp at 86 degrees. I have a 200 watt heater (I know high for a 30 gallon, my wife bought it hope it doesn't go haywire and boil my fish) and it stays on quite a bit. I can't stand the heat so I keep my house pretty cool.

I've been reading up on the care of Discus and am planning a 55g Discus tank. I'm debating with myself whether to include any plants. Most of the world class Discus folks do not seem enthralled with plants and Discus together due to the fish's sensitivity to impurities in the water which are so easily captured by substrates. I read in Discus: A Reference Book, by Bernd Degen, the idea of restricting plants to the back of the tank and having a bare-bottom in front where you feed the Discus to help control the build up of things that could impair the Discus' health.

Back
Top Bottom