New Planted set up!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that is a cool looking tank. have you thought about having water pumped up to the top of the background then have it trickle down like a water fall or runoff? i think that would look neat with maybe some moss or creeping jenny hanging down towards the water. i really like those fish. they are beautiful. ill be keeping an eye on this tank :)

Yep that’s how it’s set up right now, you can’t tell from the pictures but water flows down the of the stone. Right now I’m looking into something to grow up he back. I’m not a big moss guy I’ve tried it in a couple tanks and just don’t like the looks so I was hoping to find something different that would grow up the back, suggestions?

not sure if this is to your liking or not but Ficus pumila is a wall climbing type plant. if its not you can look here about 3/4th of the way down the page and it list several plants that are good for paludarium type setups. https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/8/freshwater
i think a big issue you will end up having is that the background you have doesnt have many crevices for alot of plants to grab onto. also your water source for them is lower on the wall meaning you will probably have to spray them each day or route the water to flow over the whole wall. moss would be the easiest to do but i agree i dont really like walls that are just all moss. i like variety.here is what creeping jenny would look like hanging from the top. http://www.waterplantsforponds.com/...16/12/creeping-jenny-green-garden-planter.jpg

not sure if this is to your liking or not but Ficus pumila is a wall climbing type plant. if its not you can look here about 3/4th of the way down the page and it list several plants that are good for paludarium type setups. https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/8/freshwater
i think a big issue you will end up having is that the background you have doesnt have many crevices for alot of plants to grab onto. also your water source for them is lower on the wall meaning you will probably have to spray them each day or route the water to flow over the whole wall. moss would be the easiest to do but i agree i dont really like walls that are just all moss. i like variety.here is what creeping jenny would look like hanging from the top. http://www.waterplantsforponds.com/...16/12/creeping-jenny-green-garden-planter.jpg

Great article and nice option for the Creeping Jenny.

Some Orchids are long and grow well and some are dwarf too, many types of choices.

Looking good.

I recently noticed a film on water from not enough agitation so I think I’ll do is run a hose from the side up the back to add more water flow, that will also help with the plants.

I’m really leaning towards the creeping Jenny, would it be better to start submerged then let it grow up or start dry and let it grow down?

Personal i would do it from the top and hang down but if you do that you will probably need to put something like a window seal plant box up therw with a little soil for the jenny to root in. Not 100% on that though since ive let jenny just float in my tank before and it still grew like mad.

Some photos of the new friends in the tank everyone is doing great. In order, Reticulated Hillstream Loach, Black Tiger Badis, Pea Puffer (Birdie).

IMG_0279.jpgIMG_0280.jpgIMG_0282.jpgIMG_0283.jpg

those are to cool. love that hillstream loach. always wanted one but dont really have a tank setup that is really suited for it. keep up the great work keep the pictures coming! :)

Thanks everyone, means a lot!

The only issue I ran into is the glosso (They we’re labeled as those) doesn’t spread out right, only up so I’m trimming them to try to get it to spread. If that grass in the front isn’t glosso please let know what it is! (Plant in the fore ground of the last photo, I’ll add a better pictureIMG_0160.jpg

And here is a picture of my Asain Stone fish, I absolutely love them when they show up, even there’s 4 of them they always hodeSorry he’s hard to find, good luck lol

IMG_0286.jpg

3 Pack Water Plant Seeds Glossostigma Hemianthus Callitrichoides Water Grass Seed Easy Aquatic Live Grow Plants Fish Tank Decoration Landscape Ornament Aquarium Decor Foreground … (Small Leaf) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753DWKQL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ohAmBbD4M0WZ6

Dwarf Baby Tears / Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Glosso / glossostigma elatinoides
Dwarf hair grass /DHG / Eleocharis parvula

Three different plants - the ad seem to casually refer to all of those in the description.

There are different varieties of some of these and different tanks - warmer water cooler water and added ferts /high light and CO2 can make differences in how they look as well as how tall or short. Higher light many plants stay shorter in the substrate, less light they will reach higher for the light.

Here is a beautiful website with lovely pics and good info tropica.com

Last edited:
Swapped the light out, friend had this and gave it to me. It’s a skkye light? For marine aquariums but it should work better then my old ones for now, yes? IMG_0298.jpg

Swapped the light out, friend had this and gave it to me. It’s a skkye light? For marine aquariums but it should work better then my old ones for now, yes? View attachment 309525

if you could find out exactly what light model it is that would really help. marine lights can grow plants but they dont do nearly as well as actual "plant" led lights. one reason being they typically have more leds in the blue range and not very much in the red or even other colors. one issue i see you having is that light seems to hang very high and it doesnt look like you are actually getting much light down at the substrate. if it were me i would go back with the light you had before.

Last edited:
Also the blue spectrum in the lighting help the light to go deeper into the water.

And the intensity/brightness of the SW lights can mean too much light for plants which aren't used to it so ease into the length of time using it, allowing plants to get used to it. I also couldn't say specifically as not familiar with the Skkye light, K /PAR, etc. Just some general basic info.

Back
Top Bottom