New Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricardo48

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am starting to get plants for my 15 gallon tank.

Is it best to remove the soft sponge wrapped the roots when I purchase them?

I have just placed 2 bunches into about 1 1/2 inches of fine gravel covering the bottom of my tank.

I have added some Tetra Plantamin and I currently have 1wpg and no CO2. I am also running a 18 inch air curtain.

Any recommendations of how to get the best out of my planted tank? Will running an air curtain really have that much negative affect on the plants? I have quite a few fish so really need as high oxygen level as possible.

My tank has 2 spark gourami, 2 neon tetra, 6 glowlight tetra, 5 cherry barb, 5 harlequin and 1 siamese fighter.

The air stones really only hurt if you inject CO2. Since you do not, the bubbles shouldn't cause any issue. Basically the turbulance cased by the bubbled can cause the CO2 you work so hard to inject to be outgassed. I usually try to remove as much of the sponge stuff as possible, but I'm by no means anal about it.

You could maybe bump up the light some. You can go to medium light before you really need CO2 injection. This would give you a lot more options for plants. You could try looking at this one...but that would probably be in the medium/high range, which would probably require at least DIY CO2

Ok. Well I ordered a small plant collection for my tank. I dont want fantastic plant growth, I just want them to survive and look fresh so hopefully 1wpg will give me that?

yeah, an incandescent hood with some of those spiral compact florescent wouldn't be to bad. Somewhat cheaper than my suggestion

To answer your other question, yes I would remove the sponge stuff that comes on the plant roots. If you can't remove it all, its fine to leave some.

I cant find any hoods that will fit my size tank and come with lightning greater than 15watt.

I want a 24" hood with 2x15watt lighting

Anyone know best place to get new hoods/lighting

you could get the light I suggested, and get a 50/50 actinic bulb. That way you would only have 30 watts effectively. Plus the actinic makes your fish's colors pop, and if you ever want to go to high light, all you have to do it get a regular bulb instead

Back
Top Bottom