New planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaxi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a new tank which is cycling at the mo. I have 4 fish in, doing very well and 4 large ish plants. I would love to put more plants in but should I wait until cycle has finished or will they be ok? Also what's the ideal depth for the plants to grow in the gravel?

Hmm...you have to rememer plants are going to be uaing up ammonia (i think they use ammonia)that your cycle needs to make bacteria. But there is something calles silent cycling where you heavily plant it to cycle it. As for how deep you should put them it depends on the plant. For some you're not supposed to bury the rhyzome (don't ask idk what it is lol) under the gravel and your supposed to mount it to a rock or driftwood...

Oh a mix then! To plant or not to plant!! It makes sense on the depth variation and I get the rhizome thing. I guess it's a research job to get the plants in the right place. I have just had a thought though. If I'm going to be doing pwc's i am going to be disturbing the plants if I'm not careful. Might do a bit of swotting on silent cycling unless someone can save me!

Jason7894561230 said:
The plants dont use ammonia they use light and nutrients in the gravel. So its fine to plant it while your cycling :)

Ah that's why I said I think. I know they use up nitrate tho

Back
Top Bottom