New planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fedex3d

Aquarium Advice Activist
Its still a little cloudy from the tannins from the DIY driftwood and the organic soil and still have the centerpiece soaking. But its up and cycling!!!! Yea!!!

ForumRunner_20120910_133040.jpg

ForumRunner_20120910_133058.jpg

fort384 said:
What kind of plants did you add? Hard to tell from the pics.

Amazon swords, wisterias, java ferns, 2 types of annibius, & the 2 tall ones are silk but look pretty real ( transferred them to transfer some bacteria but really like them in it lol )

ok, was wonderin about the tall ones :) Wasn't sure they were aquatic.

Good start! CAn you tell us a bit more about the tank? Size? Lighting? Looks like it is going to be a great tank as it matures!

fort384 said:
ok, was wonderin about the tall ones :) Wasn't sure they were aquatic.

Good start! CAn you tell us a bit more about the tank? Size? Lighting? Looks like it is going to be a great tank as it matures!

Yea l think its gonna turn out to be a great tank !!! its a 125 gallon with an inch of miracle grow organic potting soil, an inch of eco complete, and an inch and a half of black moon sand. The driftwood is from a dead dogwood that I cut up in the backyard and boiled & soaked for 2 weeks. Filtering it with a marine land 530 and a cascade 600. the Cascade is just for additional filtering & will allow me to start up a quick hospital tank if necessary. the lighting is just stock Aqueon lights but will be replaced as soon as I catch my breath for what I spent so far !!! LOL

Love the substrate mix. I bet it looks sharp and will grow anything you wanna grow once you get the lighting squared away.

fort384 said:
Love the substrate mix. I bet it looks sharp and will grow anything you wanna grow once you get the lighting squared away.

Was going to change out the T8 bulbs in it now for 2 6500K bulbs. Will that work or do I need to look at doing something else? Im still trying to learn about the lighting aspect with planted tanks!

What wattage are the bulbs?
I suspect this may be enough for low light plants but maybe just barely. That will be very low light.

fort384 said:
What wattage are the bulbs?
I suspect this may be enough for low light plants but maybe just barely. That will be very low light.

They are 24" 17 watt bulbs. I figured l might need more than those because they seem awful dim in that size tank.

Yes that won't be sufficient even for low light unfortunately. How wide is the tank?

Consider a couple of double t5ho fixtures. Fishneedit.com has some very decent fixtures for a great price.

fort384 said:
Yes that won't be sufficient even for low light unfortunately. How wide is the tank?

Consider a couple of double t5ho fixtures. Fishneedit.com has some very decent fixtures for a great price.

Thanks!! I will check em out. Yea its a 72" tank & 2 24" bulbs just do not cut it. They are actually 36" fixtures and I thought they would work till I turn them over & thought what a ripoff lol But they came with the tank so I should have known better lol what are your suggestions on the type of bulbs I need ?

2 dual 36" t5ho fixtures with 6500k-10000k bulbs will grow all low and medium light plants in that tank and even some high light stuff without having to inject co2. It would be a nice setup.

fort384 said:
2 dual 36" t5ho fixtures with 6500k-10000k bulbs will grow all low and medium light plants in that tank and even some high light stuff without having to inject co2. It would be a nice setup.

GREAT !! Cause l wasn't quite ready to get ito the co2 yet. Thanks for all the help !! Can't wait to post some more pics when it clears up & l get the last piece of driftwood in it.

fort384 said:

Found 2 on ebay from a reputable seller. One has 2 6700K bulbs & the other is 1 10000K & 1 arctic bulb. Is there a difference or would one work better for plants than the other?

Actinic bulbs are for SW applications. You would want the first one.

Are you sure it is a good fixture? Are the bulbs individually reflected? Is it UL listed? Lots of fires started with cheapo non UL fixtures...

It was Odyysea & lookin at some of their reviews l will get the Aqueon dual fixtures at petsolution.com at a reasonable price. I really appreciate all the help!! The water cleared up znd the final piece of driftwood sank. Tell me what you think. The Gouramis seemed extremely happy in their new home!!

ForumRunner_20120911_145844.jpg

ForumRunner_20120911_145856.jpg

ForumRunner_20120911_145908.jpg

Back
Top Bottom